Random Thoughts and Rambles

Its summer, what can I say?  I'm using the heat to avoid doing anything other than breathing, going to work and avoiding housework at all costs.  And it hasn't even been that hot yet.  I say by August I'll be a lump of flesh sinking into my recliner and all will be well with the universe.

Things I have been doing to avoid cleaning my house:

1. Watching the following most awesome shows:  True Blood, Weeds, Big C, Falling Skies (mom, you'll love it if you haven't been watching it already), and the last few eps of Game of Thrones.  Which brings me to....

2.  Reading: Game of Thrones.  Folks, I never thought I was a fantasy book reader type but these books are AMAZING!  Seriously fantastic writing, unbelievable world and the plot twists are insane.  I have never known of an author who so willingly and easily kills off main characters.  You never know what is coming next because ANYTHING can happen next.  Its crazy.  I'm on book four and there hasn't been a moment where I have said, "Book 2 was better."  They are all wonderful.

3.  Knitting - precious little of that.  Herniated discs in my neck have created a big problem.  I'm doing literally 15 minutes at the most every two or three days.  It sucks.  And when I tell the doctor that knitting ability is the gauge of how I'm feeling she sort of nods and looks at me like, "Sure,knitting.  Of course.  Perfectly normal."  And then she offers me meds.

4.  Complaining about my yard without actually doing anything about it.  I rent my house.  My landlord won't let me mow the lawn which is usually perfectly fine.  But then this huge fricking tornado ripped through Western Mass and destroyed entire neighborhoods.  Thankfully my wee town didn't get nailed by it but many of my co-workers' homes were destroyed or damaged or their cars were.  My landlords are great people and they are area commanders for the Red Cross.  You can imagine that this might mean my lawn has taken a very large step down on the list of priorities.  This is fine.  In the meantime though, the place has been looking, well, abandoned.  I don't own a lawnmower and cutting two acres of grass with scissors is what crazy people do.  I have a hard time weeding.  So yes, I am not proud of it, but I have complained a few times about the state of the yard.  I just want keys to the ride-on mower, that's it.  Moving on....

5.  Working - I don't blog about work. But let's just say I was promoted recently and I'm very, very excited about it.  I love my job.

6.  Montreal - I am going away for three days to visit my bestie and his husband!!!  I am going for Pride Weekend and I cannot wait!  Its in August and I'm counting the days.

7.  Camping - I want to be a camper.  So this isn't exactly a "Things I'm doing" item but more of a "Things I want to be doing" type of thing.  Not in a campground though.  Like in a mountain with a tent and cool tools and a backpack.  Aaron thinks I am insane and mumbles something about the military and how it isn't fun for him.  I want to do this.  My boys would love it. My daughters would likely stay home.

8.  Planning a big trip - Aaron and I have been on one family vacation in 7 years.  A week in NH.  To make up for lost time and a history of near poverty, we are planning a whopper of a trip.  We are taking the four kids and my niece to Disney World!  We are renting a huge RV and driving there next June after the kids are out of school.  Excited doesn't begin to cover it.

9.  Writing - just not blogging apparently.  But yes, I am writing.  Weekly at group and then even at home!  Taryn is a hell-raiser and I am having so much fun with her story.  Its dark, its violent, its all of those things and more.  Also, I am going to attend Use Your Outdoor Voice in July.  Its a day long writing workshop led by the always awesome, Feep creator and poet Kathy Dunn!

10.  Theatre - I am reviewing a few shows this month for In the Spotlight, Inc.  I went to see "moonchildren" over the weekend at the Berkshire Theatre Festival in Stockbridge and loved it.  You can read the review here.  Next up is "Dinner with Friends" and "Superior Donuts" both at Smith College.

Okay, so maybe I'm not really avoiding that much after all.  This post brought to you by REALITY CHECK! 

Comments

Popular Posts