I wanted to write something about the 4th, something that would give a little meaning to my 3 day weekend. Something that could convey how I feel about our country, this war we're in and perhaps that's how this'll turn out.

I didn't want to get mushy, and I definitely didn't want to be corny. So, here's a little free writing...

The President had an address the other evening and from what I saw, and I admit I had a hard time watching the whole thing, he was basically saying that we'll be Iraq for an indefinite period time. That our troops will continue to risk their lives in order to give freedom to a nation of people who have never known what that word really means. And while I hate that we were lied to, that fear was used to convince the public to support a war on terror, and that we basically invaded Iraq as retalliation for 9-11 when Iraq had nothing to do with it, I support our cause. I would love to see a truly free Iraq.

But, we did create this mess. At least the men and women we put into public office. And as much as we may not agree with Vietnam circa 2004-2005, we even re-elected them.

So, families across this country send care packages and wait by the phone to have a 15 minute conversation with their husbands, moms, dads, brothers, wives and sisters. We have a tally of numbers and occasionally a name to put on a list of the dead. And I see in my home the pile of camoflauge clothes, the medals, the combat boots and the gear and fear strikes in my heart. But so does pride.

So, this Fourth of July I am thinking about what it will mean to the Iraq citizens to someday sit on a grassy hill with their families and look to the heavens as fireworks explode overhead. The kind of fireworks that don't kill, that don't maim, that don't instill fear in thier hearts. I need to believe that our cause there is a noble one. I need to believe as so many other girlfriends, partners and wives do. As more and more of Aaron's friends go away, I feel this war creeping ever closer to our happy home.

And on this Fourth, I am thinking of the thousands of families that have been through this in years past. I think of the story my mother told me about her brother in Korea. How my uncle, who barely spoke English, was sent to a mountain in the middle of winter with summer uniforms and barely enough food to keep him alive. I think of her mom seeing that car pull up their driveway and not understanding a word they were saying and thinking that her son was dead. I think of my mom, a young girl, needing to translate to her mom that Roger was hurt, but he was okay.

And I hope and pray from the deepest part of my being that this war is over soon. That another life need not be taken. I pray that the people of Iraq use their freedom wisely, that the deaths of so many will be honored by their undying love of their country and of the opportunities that will soon be theirs. I pray for all this because it's really all I can do.

I wish you all a very happy fourth.

Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts