One chicken, two meals. Both easy.

No exactly one for the dieters, but I switched up a simple recipe I found online and created a most delicious chicken meal last night.  Here's what I did:

* One Roaster Chicken
* 6-8 cloves of garlic, minced
* Stick of butter
* About a half cup chicken broth
* Salt, pepper, paprika, favorite seasonings, etc.


Give the chicken a nice rub down with the minced garlic, place in slow cooker.  Sprinkle seasonings all over it.  Cut up the stick of butter and dot the chicken with it.  Pour the broth into the crockpot and cover.  Cook on high for an hour, then switch to low for around 7 more hours.

The sauce can be used as a gravy and I highly recommend pouring it over potatoes.

~~~

I reserved all the leftovers and bones and made a chicken stock with it.  I even poured the garlic butter sauce in with:


* 3 carrots
* 1 sweet onion
* 1 leek's greens only
* 3 stalks celery
* Fresh thyme
* 2 bay leaves


Things simmered for about 4 hours and I ended up with a very condensed stock.  Tonight, we will use that to make some chicken orzo soup.  Here's what I'm planning:


*  I will add a cup or two of water to my stock to tast
* Slice up a carrot or two
* Slice up the white part of my leek from the stock
* If needed, a bit of onion
* I am going to buy an already cooked and cut up chicken breast - I'll shred this in my chopper

* 3/4 cup of orzo, uncooked


I plan on simmering the whole thing for an hour or so.  Because my stock is so heavily flavored from where it came from, I don't know that it will need much salt or pepper.

~~~

Fall must be here!! The cooking frenzy is taking off.

Comments

Popular Posts