One! Not so singular sensation.

I just tucked the boys in for the night. When they wake up, they will be one year old.

I tucked them in the way I do every night... a warm bottle with a dwindling supply of milk weekly, a reading each of Goodnight Moon, a snuggle and tuck, a kiss, a pull of Seth's musical puppy, a "Goodnight Babies, I love you" as I'm shutting the light off and pulling the door shut behind me.

But tonight, it was different. I've been thinking about this milestone for so long. One. I often wonder what it is about this particular that bears such weight with us moms. Dads too, but I think moms really feel this one more. So much can happen in a year, so much just did happen.

I was so afraid a year ago. I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to love each one enough, or hold each one equally. I would try to keep track of how often I cuddled each boy and kissed him. I would feel guilty for carrying one upstairs and leaving the other for a few seconds. I have learned so much since those early days.

For one, I can carry both at the same time now along with two pacifiers and two bottles!

I can rock two babies at once if I need to or want to.

I read to one while one plays in his crib and then switch off.

I go more for routine now than spend time stressing over who went first last time. I figure Twin A goes first until Twin B realizes it and complains!

I do a lot of M.O.D. (mothering on demand): whoever is demanding the loudest wins.

I sit on my floor 99% of the time. When I do sit on the couch it's never for more than 2 minutes at a time.

I have also learned what it's like to walk through my front door and get attacked by four arms and two smiling faces. I get smothered in kisses and hugs on both sides.

I learned that yes, God really never gives us more than he can handle. But goodness he knows how to push it!!!

Tonight, my son JP waived at me and said "Hi" as if he has been doing this forever. Even though it was a first for him.

My lovable Seth has kissed me non-stop since I came home. More of a lick really, but I'll take whatever I can get.

One year ago I held two tiny, helpless, baby boys. Just 10 pounds between the two of them.

I saw Aaron change dramatically from being my boyfriend to a daddy. Someone that I loved so much... if only I knew how incredible he would make this journey for me. For us.

I was worried about his being so young and new at this whole baby thing. He amazes me today with the depth of his love and commitment to his family, his boys. For a guy who rarely showed emotion before to open up and so freely love.... it just amazes me.

I guess I could go on and on.... but I won't. My living room looks like a couple of one year olds were playing in it all day.

It never looked better.

Comments

  1. quote "My living room looks like a couple of one year olds were playing in it all day. It never looked better."
    aaaawwwww how sweet, that's great. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOYS!!!!
    I completly agree with "i speed 99% time in floor"!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely. As a dad of 9 month twins, I can relate to everything you wrote. I also loved the "One Year" email you sent to the twin listserv. My wife shared that with me.

    Congrats on your beautiful boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to your boys. We are approaching that marker (9.5 months)...way too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!! We'll have party pics up soon!! Wooo hoooo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn, this blog entry brought tears to my eyes. This is our week, three more days until Alex & Spencer are 1, and I just can't believe it's here already. Where did the time go? I'm not ready yet!

    I keep checking back to see if you've posted birthday pictures yet. I can't wait to see those guys with cake all over their faces!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts