Over Achievers and Their Stupid Smart Pills

I've been single-momming it for one week. I have two words: COME HOME!

DBF is away with the Marine Corps for two weeks. His last shindig with them as he will be deactivated as of June 27th. 6 years done. For 4 years he can be called back at any time. But, no more weekends and no more summer 2 weeks.

I miss him. I feel like I haven't laughed since he left. I mean the real hard, belly laughs. We do that a lot around here. He makes me smile a whole bunch. The boys miss him. Yesterday Seth pointed to his picture and said "Da Da?" Then he started crying. Now, I don't know how much a one year old comprehends, but I read it as, "Where have you put my father you cold hearted meanie!" So I cried too. Ugh. Boy do I miss him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On an entirely different note: Has anyone out there read this article on Slate about college kids taking "Super Pills"? Basically its ADD meds given (Adderall) to enhance focus, short term memory and alertness. Most of the kids who take them do not have ADD, but get them from friends who do. They cost approx. $5 per pill.

And so I ask you Dear Reader: what have we (not me of course ;0)) done to our kids? These are the kids who were pushed to get A's rather than B's. Who are tested and re-tested. Who know their IQ score, their GPA, their SAT, thier MCAS and their exact class standings by the time they reach 10th grade.

These are the kids who were not allowed to sit idly by on a nice day. These are the ones who the Boomer's had late in life, who were told they could change the world if their grades were good enough. They are the ones who are signed up for violin, soccer, ballet, baseball, lacrosse, and voice lessons. Over-achievers.

But when everyone is an over-achiever, a 3.8 GPA is only okay. What is going to happen to these kiddos when they sit next to Larry the creepy guy from accounts payable? And realize, "Holy shit, Larry makes more than I do with his Associates degree from Crap Community college. I'll bet he doesn't even know the House of Verona from the House of Pancakes!" And we'll giggle at you Over Achiever. Because we Gen-exers, at least we had a good ole time watchin' Snagglepus emcee the Laugh O'Lympics!

Or even more so... what's going to happen to us? The Gen-exers who are learning that it's okay we aren't rockstars , but dammit does everyone around me have to be so stupid?!

We like knowing how to work smarter and not harder. Now we're going to have to contend with Generation Next. These punks who were given every opportunity. They weren't born to parents who were raised in the 40's like we were. Oh no... these kids.... their parents went to Woodstock, sang around campfires and hitched rides to San Francisco. They expanded their minds while my mom was making pot roast for her husband.

And so I pose this question to you: What will our kids be like? Will the Gen-exers raise their kids with a balance? A little bit over-achiever with the ability to appreciate some down time?

Will my super students learn that getting A's is really awesome, so lets take a Tuesday off and go to Six Flags to beat the weekend crowds? Or will they complain about missing class?

Will my kids understand the absolute necessity of college? Not just for the academia, but also for living a dorm life for 4 years? Where you can learn who you are while away from mom and dad, but still coming home to do laundry and get some cash?

This is my mission. I want to teach them all work and no play leads to a horrible life. That yes, a career you love and are paid decently for is a great thing. But it isn't the best thing. The best things happen when we aren't trying so damn hard.

Comments

  1. God, Jenn, you should be a writer. I mean, seriously, this entry could be published. It's so good! I work in higher ed, and I really appreciate what you're saying. You're a very smart woman.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts