Sometimes you just gotta jump

I haven't had a really memorable, vibrant dream in a while.  I think it has to do with exhaustion.  I've been working an awful lot getting ready for a national conference the program I work for hosted.  Three days, 250 people.  It was intense. Its over and the relief is spectacular. 

Right. So, crazy dream last night.  The WHOLE family (brothers, sisters, kids, parents, cousins, aunts/uncles, etc) is on vacation. We were at the beach/camping ground and the whole lot of us were driving towards the ocean.  Caravan style. Upon arrival, we find out that in order to get to the shoreline you have to get on this crazy waterslide thing.  Even my boys, my mom, everyone had to do it.  And so... we do.  I toss Seth onto this thing like he's an Olympian and sure enough... he swims through the tunnel thing and goes down the shoot just fine.  My mother follows.  Now, my mom isn't a swimmer.  I have never in my entire life even seen her in a bathing suit, nevermind in a pool or ocean.  But there she goes, hollering and screaming and having a grand ole time.

Once at the shore, the whole clan looks at the cliffs we are standing on. Its rocky, the waves are just slamming into them. My mom turns around and says, "Well, this sucks! We can't go in there.  What the heck are we going to do now?"  At that moment, Patrick comes running full speed toward the cliff and yells, "Grandma! Sometimes you just gotta jump!"  And he swan dives into the beautiful, crystal blue waters below. My Aunty Shirley is standing at the edge of the cliff and watches him dive, she is smoking and holding a can of beer.  "That's right Patrick! You said it!"  She laughs and looks at us as if to say, "Well, what are you waiting for?"

The waves calm down and the sand appears under our feet.  One by one, we jump into the ocean after him. And there we were, swimming in the sea, laughing and splashing together.  No fear of the waves any longer, no concern for anything other than that we were together again. I remember looking up and yelling at my Aunt to come join us.  She just waved back and smiled that beautiful smile. 

I wish I could have that dream every night.


Comments

Popular Posts