Meatless

Its been about 12 days since I've eaten meat. Not a huge deal or anything, but I am feeling pretty good about it. I honestly can't say I miss it which must mean I wasn't eating so much of it to begin with. Cooking is easier and the groceries were a lot cheaper this week. My daughters are joining me (well, mostly. Ask Danielle about the burger she ate) and JP barely ate real meat anyhow. An occasional nugget was about it. And hot dogs. Both of which barely qualify as meat and both of which I shall never buy for them again. I watched a video about how these things are made and ya know what? That shit is nasty. It looked like pink play dough. Its called "meat paste." Yes, meat paste. Two words that should never be said together and I was feeding it to my kids.

In other totally underwhelming news: I got nothing. The world spins, the sun rises and sets, the days and nights grow colder and I am relishing sweater weather. Both wearing and knitting.

OH! Here's a good one for you: I made butter. Exciting or what?! I totally whipped up some cream into butter. I initially tried to use the cream from the top of the raw milk* I bought from Cook's Farm in Hadley but it didn't work. Why? Because I'm an idiot and poured the cream out rather than scooped it. So, I bought some heavy whipping cream and let it sit on my counter all night. This morning I poured it into my blender with a pinch of salt and whipped that shit up into butter. I spread it on a slice of bread and it was the most delicious, light, fluffy butter I've ever eaten. Not to mention cheap! Its around $4 for a thing of butter and only about $2 for the cream. Nice, right?


*I bought two gallons of raw, very fresh milk. It was $5 per gallon which is right around whole milk cost in the store. What's cool about that $5 is that every single penny went right into the farmer's pocket. No middle man, no grocery store, no transport, no energy expended to pasteurize/homogenize it. It tastes exactly the same as whole milk (it is whole milk), so if you're drinking that or even 2% you won't taste the difference. And you can do cool stuff like make butter with the cream and then you'll have your skim milk ready for drinking. Nifty or what?

Comments

Popular Posts