Random Thoughts

Blog is quiet isn't it? It seems the more I write offline, the less I write online.  That and the lack of internets at home doesn't help things.  A bit of a step forward in writing though:  I'm currently working on a final revision of The Hill.  I've actually decided to go with a series of picture books called Growing Up Granby and writing little stories about well, growing up in Granby!  So the The Hill has been aptly renamed Growing Up Granby: The Hill.  It is book one in hopefully a very long line of stories inspired by my childhood and those who shared it with me. 
 
I am drafting my very first query letter and learning the ins and outs of the world of publishing.  Its overwhelming to say the least.  You have to really learn how to market yourself which is really not the easiest thing to do when you've never had anything anything published.  Oh well, here goes nothing! 
 
My ideas for more books are pretty simply little stories that if put together will create an entire world.  Its kind of cool and I'm really excited about it.  I spent some time at Barnes and Noble Monday and started looking at the books on the shelves for the wee ones now.  Not really scoping out competition but seeing what is given the yes and the themes that are popular.  I was given the advice that writing a children's book is more about writing for a child's parent(s) than anything.  After all, they're the ones who will be reading it over and over and over and also the ones with the cash to buy the book.  So, I have written these stories for them and believe very much that the kids will get it.  They get so much more than we give them credit for. 
 
As for my other project, the novel?  Yeah, its totally different than it was.  Anna, my main character, is not the young woman I thought she was but has demanded to become somewhat of a badass.  The story is coming and has taken on a life of its own.  I am having so much fun with it and am letting the book reveal itself in a much more organic way than trying to pre-plot everything.  I"ve wasted countless hours trying to outline, to plan, and think out what will happen and how.  I'm writing it and moving forward.  Period.  One of these days I will get through this first draft or at least break through the first hundred pages!
 
On totally different topics: 
 
1.   I GOT A COUCH!!! Like from this century and everything!  My aunt and uncle had it and didn't need it and they gave it to us! My living room no longer boasts a boldly flowered, gold and blue, 1970s relic.  And when I say flowered, I mean really big flowers.  Blue flowers.  With olive green stems and leaves and this gold color thrown in just to make sure its as distinctly 1973 as possible.  Now, I have a very tasteful beige couch with tiny stripes of rust and blue. Its in wonderful shape and it even opens to a sleeper.  Win! And it was free!  Double win! 
 
You see, when you have five pets and twin five year olds, a new couch would be sort of silly.  I would become one of those mothers who refuses to allow even a glass of milk anywhere near the sofa.  I would cringe at the thought of chocolate chip cookies and juice would definitely be outlawed.  I don't want to be that mom.  I want to lie on my couch with a bowl of buttery popcorn and beer and not have to chase down the wayward crumbs or cry myself to sleep over spilled milk. Someday I'll have new furniture, until then we'll make do with awesome and much appreciated hand-me-downs.
 
2.  I finished a sock.  Don't want to start second one.  Second Sock Syndrome sucks.
 
3.  I picked up the lace wrap I started last spring.  I switched to circular needles and can't believe how much faster I knit on them.  Weird.  I want to finish this so I can wear it to my cousin's wedding.  On January 1.  I think this won't happen mostly because of items 4 & 5 below.
 
4.  I bought paint for my living room.  Its going to be the exact color of coffee with cream in it. 
 
5.  I think I heard that Christmas is around the corner?
 
6.  I have no time for items 2 - 5.
 
Okay, that's what's up in my world.  Poor neglected blog. 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts