Non-Linear Timeline

I'm pretty sure that everything I thought I would be feeling was 100% false.

My oldest is going off to college in about 6 weeks.  A year ago I would have told you that I would be happily packing her off, readying that room for some serious makeover business.  I would have told you that I couldn't wait for the nest to be empty. 

I was really, really stupid.

I am entirely thrilled for her don't get me wrong.  But if I could just slow this down and wait another year for her to leave home, I would do it. 

This whole raising kids things has a weird time arc to it.  It isn't linear.  Its like the first 13 years go by at a somewhat decent pace, some days much slower than others, and then WHAM!  All of a sudden its go time and your fourteen year old is suddenly already fifteen and then seventeen hits and now you have a high school senior and WHOA! Graduation?!  How the....?

I wish I could graph this but my art skills are terrible and my math is even worse.  I feel like the last two years went by in a flash.  I was looking at dorm room stuff at Target and left the store in tears.  I wasn't sure if I was happy, proud, sad, scared, or filled with separation anxiety. Probably all of that though. 

Comments

Popular Posts