To Scout or Not To Scout?

The Boy Scouts of America has refused to lift their ban on openly gay members.  They even went so far as to boot out a Den Mother after she married her wife. 

Okay, so there's that.  As a flag-waving gay rights activist/believer/supporter.... I would say that parents who believe in equality shouldn't sign their kids up with this organization.

BUT....

I did sign my kids up.  My two sons just got started in scouting and they LOVE it.  When they found out they had the summer off, JP said, "But mom! Boy Scouts never quit!"  That was after three whole pack meetings.

So, what the heck am I supposed to do?  On the one hand, I hate this organization for what it has done and that it is willingly excluding people based upon their sexuality.  If this group was doing this to people who say, weren't white.... the entire country would be up in arms.  But no, they're discriminating against a group of people way in the minority.

I honestly have not a clue what to do.  Part of me says to keep them in, to keep raising my sons the way I have and sort of ignore this whole thing.  The boys have no idea about this, they are totally into this for the fun of it.  But, I'm their mom.  I do know what's going on and as much as I disagree with this group, they are getting my money (dues, membership, uniform, etc) and in turn I am actively supporting an anti-gay organization.  How can I just go along with this?  How can I turn a blind eye and participate in an organization that not only believes that being gay is inherently wrong, but also has a religious aspect to it?

The other issue I have is what if one of them is gay?  What if one of my sons stays in the scouts until he is 15 or 16 and comes out as gay?  Am I setting him up for some serious heartache here?  He will definitely be kicked to the curb and booted out.  This is so awful.  I seriously don't know what to do.  Part of me thinks I should take my money and have them join gymnastics or something.

I can't be the only parent struggling with this.  I feel like the world's biggest hypocrite if I keep them in, but then I'll feel terrible for taking them out.  Stupid Boy Scouts.

Comments

  1. leave them in, they love it and they will learn a lot of good things, why worry when you don't have to,there just 2 little boys that think its the best think in the world, how can you take that away from them right,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts