While it's raw, while it its here and present and now I wanted to write.

My co-worker of 5 years, a dear friend, lost her husband just hours ago. His name was Paul. He was healthy and happy and here just a while ago. They were married a few years ago and were starting thier lives over. I was at their wedding. Just a few months later we all we went camping. We all included my coworkers and their children and partners if we had them. We are a close bunch.

Paul was the Professional Camper, with all the gadgets and cool stuff. He helped us set up tents, he cooked breakfast. He and Jose got drunk our first night and prceeded to imitate Yogi Bear so loudly that we nearly got kicked out of the Jellystone campground.

"Hey Boo Boo... get your pica-nick basket!" It echoed thru the whole place until after midnight.

Paul would send us corny jokes via e mail. He always had a real doozie to tell us when visiting Annette here at work. Just real groaners.

Everyone here is a bit dazed and stunned and hurting for our friend and her family. We are praying for her. I don't really know what else to say. It happened so suddenly. We got a voicemail from her saying that he was in surgery and everything was touch and go. The sound of her voice... I can hear it now. Jose and I wanted to crawl thru the phone and give her a hug. Tell her we're with her, that we're all with her.

Paul was in surgery for over 8 hours if my information and figuring is right. He fought. He was a military man, of course he fought. Navy. He was a veteran.

The mundane details of life keep happening. Order lunch. Answer phones. And then I'll look over at her desk and see her pictures of their grandchildren. And I'm reminded of how much he meant to her. How after such a long, hard life they had found each other.

We'll miss you Paul.

Comments

  1. Jenn, I am deeply sorry for the loss of your friend and for your dear friends loss of her husband and bestfriend... sometimes life, well actually death seems so unfair. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
    Love & Hugs,
    Jenn B.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts