The Producers and Religion. How this fit, I have no idea.

So, what'cha been up to? I went to see The Producers on Sunday with a few friends. I know, right?! I WENT OUT!!!

Now that you've hopefully recovered from the earth-shattering shock... my review:

Fricken hysterical.

Yes, I saw the original. And I'll be honest, it was a loooooong time ago and I don't really remember it all that much. No, I didn't see the Broadway production. I saw this movie and I laughed my stupid ass off so much that the snotty people in front of Dan and I moved their seats. Whatever.... it was funny okay?

If you go to see it, remember to stay right thru the credits.

Next up will hopefully be Brokeback Mountain. I have heard all great things about it. I was hesitant because every movie that is "gay themed" usually ends with someone dying and I HATE that! I mean, ENOUGH already. Can't someone just live and love and be freakin' happy? It's so didactic, I just can't stand it. But... I have it on good word that this one is different and yada yada yada.

Did you guys see my big word up there? See... that degree gets used sometimes! Makes the 25 grand worth it.

Religion. It's been on my mind. Today Jose and Sheril were discussing free will vs. destiny/fate. Jose was saying that we all have an expiration date and no matter where we are or what we're up, when that timer buzzes... ppffffffft. We're gone. Sheril believes in free will. That how we choose to spend our time here directly determines when we punch the big timeclock in the sky. Jose is Catholic. Sheril is Christian. Not sure if that matters, but there you go.

So... what do you think? Do you think He has a calendar and perhaps a PDA tracking our minutes? Or do you think that you can only jump out of a plane so many times before the chute doesn't open?

While we're on the subject... I'm a hipocrite. Just clearing that up in case you thought I didn't know. I have come to believe that there really isn't ONE true religion. That maybe God in all His wisdom created us different so that we could worship Him in all different ways. That way all bases are covered. I mean, yeah cathedrals are nice, but if that's all we had for Him, maybe he'd get bored. Maybe he likes synagogues on Tuesdays, pagodas on Wednesdays, the pyriamids on Fridays and every third Thursday. Maybe he likes crosses, maybe another day it's stars. Who knows. Maybe he likes little skinny men who fast a lot in warmer temps, but then switches to the plumper, jovial Buddha in the winter time?

Here's my problem... if that is true. If I'm right... then why do I need to pick one church? Why do I need to subscribe to only one faith? Why can't I too switch between a few?

And what's my problem with the Catholic faith? Okay, the hundreds of years of murdering people to switch and stay Catholic probably wasn't very nice. And the fact that they don't ordain women urks me, and the fact that they allowed pedophiles to run amok.... you know what.... it really doesn't matter. I just don't like its history okay? We'll leave it at that.

So, I continue to look for a decent church to go to. I want to have a good place for my boys to learn about God. I want them to believe as I believe. I want to instill faith in them so they will never, never feel like they are alone in the world. That Someone is watching over them even when I'm not. I want them to be able to lie in their beds at night and whisper a prayer. I want them to take whatever they can't fix, whatever they can't handle... I want them to take it to God. To lay it at Her feet and say, "Help". I want them to know that there is a better, simpler place after this life. And I don't want them to learn about a God that hates, that condemns, that only chooses certain people as the forgiven.

If you know of a place like this... please tell me.

My search just keeps leading me right back to my own living room.

Comments

Popular Posts