Dream a Little Dream of Me

I have notoriously vivid dreams. They are like movies and every now and then one will really stick with me. Last night was one of those dreams that had me thinking all day.

I posted about a friend of mine who recently suffered a terrible and tragic loss. Her husband died very suddenly 2 weeks ago today. This dream was about her.

We were at my house (dream house) and she was getting ready to leave. As we were saying goodbye she said she didn't think she would be able to find her way home. I tried explaining the directions, but it just came out like gibberish.

She asked me to accompany her home. I obliged.

In her HUGE van, I start messing it all up. I just keep screwing up the directions. I miss traffic lights and turns. The signs don't make any sense. The route numbers were all weird. They were more like years. I remember specifically seeing 1953. 2002. 1965. 2006.

Annette starts getting very annoyed with me. I keep apologizing and wondering why on earth I can't give her the right directions. Finally I realize that it doesn't even make sense that I'm in the car as she will have to bring me back home and then do this all over again.

We pull into a parking lot. I decide to write the directions down as I am usually better getting my thoughts out that way.

No dice.

I would write a word but it would come out all messy and unreadable. I would scratch it out and try again. Still messed up. I am writing frantically now and filling up pages of just scribbles. Wads of paper are filling up the backseat.

I turned to her and I felt sooo stupid and so helpless. "I'm sorry, I don't know what's wrong with me. I just can't get this right. I can't give you directions. Just come to my place and we'll print them out from Google maps. I think this pen is broken. It won't let me write what I want."

"No, that's okay. I'll find my own way. Don't worry."

Then I woke up.

At work today Annette told me she had finally gotten some sleep. That she was having a better day.

I think maybe she was finding her own way. Just starting, but one right turn can make all the difference.

I wish you peace tonight Annette. My thoughts are always with you. I wish I had the right words, the path all written out. But in this realm, I am speechless and wordless.

Comments

Popular Posts