Erma Bombeck had regrets.

I am so glad that I can't relate to the poem quoted below.

I'm glad that I, at the age of 33, understand the fragility of life, the temporary status we hold on this earth.

I'm thankful my father planted flowers along with vegetables.

I'm thankful my mother never went anywhere without looking classy, who to this day has a better wardrobe than I could ever manage. I'm thankful she taught me that wearing lipstick dresses up anyone at anytime without ever having to actually say it.

I'm thankful that my sister Lisa came before me and gave me a perfect role model on being a mom. Seeing it twice really helped.

I'm thankful my sister Kathy has shown me how to live life to its fullest, that sometimes no plan is really the best plan, especially when taking off to Canada on a Friday night whim.

I'm thankful my father sings to my sons, tells jokes to my daughters and helps us all see the silver lining in all things.

I'm thankful that I can't leave my parents' house without hearing, "Love you. Be careful."

I love that my mom has a $100 shower curtain and $5 tablecloth.

I'm thankful for learning to appreciate the finer things and then how to make do with Family Dollar.

I'm thankful for learning how to crochet and knit.

I'm still working on the cooking, but love the cookbooks and Quick Cooking magazines my mother sends me.

I'm thankful my mother instilled in me the strength I have needed so badly in my life. I'm more thankful though for knowing where to go for a good cry and strong shoulder.

I'm thankful I know how to dance and will break into a soft shoe no matter where I am if the impulse strikes.

I'm glad that I learned to just love the sound of my own laughter.

I cherish that I love my whole family: cousins, aunts, nieces and nephews.

I'm thankful for a lifetime of happy Christmas mornings.

I'm so proud of my parents' near 50 years of marriage. It gives me something to hope for and believe in.

There's no better feeling than driving down a highway in a convertable. A good hair day just pales in comparison.

I'm thankful that I love my job. It isn't glamorous, it doesn't pay a whole lot, but I respect my co-workers and like my bosses. In this world, those are rare and wonderful finds.

I'm thankful for good friends, game nights and great movies.

I'm of the ilk who can drink a Bud Light but would much rather a Sam Adams.

Fine wine goes with anything or nothing at all. But I'll drink Arbor Mist if I have to.

I'm thankful that I was given the courage to do what so many people never thought I could.


So... maybe Erma Bombeck had some regrets. We all will. But mine will never be about missing an opportunity to love my life, they'll never be about me not finding joy in the simple things. Sometimes the best part of my morning is a cup of great, freshly ground coffee and good company. And I'm so thankful to have been given the wisdom to cherish those little details.

So Erma, here's your little ditty. Maybe someone out there needs the advice.

But this chick was raised a Curran. But this stuff, we already knew this stuff.

IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER - by Erma Bombeck (written after she found out she was dying from cancer).

I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren't there for the day.

I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
I would have talked less and listened more.
I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.
I would have eaten the popcorn in the 'good' living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.! I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains. I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life. I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn't show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime. Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I'd have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle. When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, "Later. Now go get washed up for dinner." There would have been more "I love you's." More "I'm sorry's." But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minu te...look at it and really see it . live it and never give it back. Stop sweating the small stuff. Don't worry about who doesn't like! you, who has more, or who's doing what. Instead, let's cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us. Let's think about ! what God HAS blessed us with. And what we are doing each day to promote ourselves mentally, physically, emotionally. I hope you all have a blessed day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts