Raw

So, I'm learning a ridiculous amount of stuff about feeding your dog raw food. My pup is on a partial raw diet and partial kibble. I want to switch to total raw, but am still learning about what to feed, when, and how much.

Here's the basic concept: dogs in their natural state would eat any large, hooved mammal. They would eat cows, sheep, pigs, goats. Their next preference would be smaller mammals, like rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks and yes, cats. The raw diet would be mostly bone with meat on it. The bone would clean their teeth and help flush out digestive systems. The quality of the protein is such that its neither too much nor too little. Too much protein is very, very bad for dogs.

Okay, so there's the basic gist. Did you know that regular ole dog food (think anything that has a commercial) creates not only horrible gas, poor teeth and coat, but it also causes your pooch to be hyperactive? That it elevates the acid levels of his blood which fleas and ticks LOVE??? Raw fed dogs are so healthy that they usually don't need flea meds. Of course, in my area with Lyme's Disease being so rampant my pup will need meds when the weather warms up.

Okay, so there you have it. Now, I'm in the process of contacting local sportsman clubs, taxidermists and butchers to buy their carcasses for cheap. If I get a good deal going, I can then freeze the meaty bones and actually feed Clancy for less than what I'm spending now.

So far, he's had chicken wings, pork necks and lamb necks, lamb heart, pork liver, chicken liver, turkey heart and liver. I'm going to get him some chicken backs next and see how he does. When he eats this stuff, he is honestly the happiest dude I've ever seen. He prances around with it in his mouth, tosses it into the air, catches it and then lays down for about 20 minutes and just chews! He is tired when he's done. As a dog should be!

I have some great links if you're interested in trying this. It's just the best thing you can do for your dog or cat.

Comments

  1. I've also heard that giving them cooked rice and vegetables as part of a raw diet is good. The reasoning being that they would get partially digested wild grains and vegetables from the stomachs of their prey (ewww...but good for them).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts