What is wrong with people? The Oscars last night was great! I thought Ellen was funny and sincere. People are saying she was "safe" and "non-controversial". Okay, so since when were Oscar hosts supposed to be controversial and dangerous? Or rude? And... even more importantly... how cool is it that an openly gay woman is referred to as a safe, non-controversial host??? And just to go one further, I thought the sound-effect chorus thing was COOL. And, yeah, it was a long night. But I DON'T CARE!

I love me some movies! I love the fashion, the hair, the speeches, the red carpet, the singing, the dancing, the whole DANG thing! Bring it on!

Whatever. People are so jaded and so quick to boo hoo everything. It's an awards show. Get over yourselves and smile a bit. I was jumping up and down when Marty won and The Departed won. When I saw The Departed, I turned to Aaron and said, "This is the new American classic. This is as good or better than Goodfellas, Scarface, Taxi Driver, Godfather." And, on second viewing, its even better. The two scenes that did it for me were the cell phone scene between Matt Damon and Leo. Nobody spoke and yet that m9nute long moment spoke VOLUMES about their characters, their state of minds. The other scene is the one between Jack N's character and Leo's... Leo is trying to convince Jack that he isn't the rat. That scene should be studied by acting students. Its a master class for generations of upcoming actors. Sincerely movie magic.

Okay, enough. But I really have to say the Departed is probably in my top 5 favorite movies. And if you know me at all, that's a hard top 5 to crack. I think it may have bumped Red Dawn to No 6. LOL! Kidding! Nobody could bump RD!!!

~~~~

Iraq. I was just watching the news and this man was talking about his day yesterday. You see, 8 of his friends were blown up. He thought his girlfriend was dead, but he found her under a few other bodies. She was alive. As he grabbed her and held her, she was worried that people would see them. Because that kind of physical contact is against their religion and culture. He told her there was no one left to see or to care. He said that his country was gone, that Iraq was no longer a country. He had no home.

I know we were lied to. I know we shouldn't have gone. But we did. And we have sacrificed over 3000 of our own. Countless Iraq civilians have been killed. When we see millions of people being killed off in their own homes, we wonder why aren't we there?

We question our inaction of Rwanda and the Sudan. What about Sadam? He murdered millions of his own people. He needed to be taken down. And he was. Now this country is on the verge of collapse because we SCREWED UP OUR STRATEGY. We needed more troops there from the beginning. Now that Bush wants to FINALLY (he's an ass) send them, our government is saying it doesn't want to send them. Look, we're there. We cannot leave this country in the state we've put them in.

On NPR yesterday a Marine Sergeant said the following: Our country needs to decide whether a stable Iraq is in the interest of our own safety. If an unstable Iraq puts Americans at risk, then we need to finish what we have started. If national security is at risk, then we have a war we need to win.

Simply put. No politics. Nothing but a true statement.

So, risking believing in something unpopular I'm forced to stand behind a man I strongly dislike and supremely mistrust.

I believe that an unstable Iraq will create a terrorist nation. I believe that if we leave Iraq now, future bombings and attacks on our country will make 9/11 look like a Dick Cheney hunting incident. We need to win this and our troops need to hear us say that. They need to know that we have faith that they can be a part of a great moment in history. A more peaceful Iraq, where children can go to school and teachers can teach. Where women can hold jobs if they choose. Where young girls are not raped and beaten just for walking down the street.

Our men and women fighting this war need to hear us say we believe that they can win. We have prevailed in times of great desperation. We can win and with the right leadership we will. Maybe more troops will help. I don't know. I'm not a strategist. I'm just an American who believes that a re-built Iraq will mean a safer place for her kids to grow up in.


Democrats - shut the hell up and get to the business of WINNING this damn war and then bring them all home. Honor the sacrifices made the best way we can.

So there.

So's your FACE! (That was for Autumn and Danielle)

Comments

Popular Posts