Random Thoughts

I don't know if this is a bit presumptive or overly optimistic, but I gotta say... WOW.  I cannot believe the difference a few days can make.  Let me explain.

Last week was rough.  Lots of muscle aches and two nights of flaming red knees that according to my thermometer were raging at about 104 degrees.  The rest of me?  98. 

Progesterone and other hormones were also raging and likely still are.  Its been almost two weeks since the Mirena was removed and my body is struggling to play catch up.  Crying jags, anger flashes, extreme happiness. All within minutes.  My daughters have given to backing away and making nice.  I can't say I blame them.

And then there was Tuesday, Wednesday and today.  Little to no joint pain.  No hip pain.  Vertigo is about 90% gone.   Muscles feel pretty great.  Three days in a row is a record for me, so let me just take a moment of glee here. 

Also, I feel... I feel... light.  No signs of bloating, no more heavy feeling.  Essentially, my body no longer believes it to be pregnant (that's how Mirena does what it does).  This also means that weight loss will be easier than it was.  In fact, I've lost about 3 pounds in the last two weeks bringing me to a total of about 9 pounds lost.  Here's the kicker though:  I'M NOT DIETING!  Seriously, I'm eating Aaron's chocolate chip cookies, the tiramisu he made, this other chocolate thing with hand whipped cream.  What I"m not eating is meat other than two servings of fish (rosemary salmon and sushi). 

My insides feel pretty terrific and that's a huge improvement from how I was feeling just a few weeks ago.  I don't want to say its all perfect, not yet.  Optimistic is a good way to describe it though.  And after five years of feeling like a 90 year old... I'll take what I can get.

~~~~

In other news, Clara is limping pretty badly.  She is off to the vet to get checked out.  I was in a bit of a panic over the weekend (blaming hormones) but things aren't as bad as I'd thought.  She is around 10ish (rescue dog ages are sometimes best guesstimates) and according to what I can find out online about Catahoula dogs is that they are prone to deafness (she is deaf already), blindness (doesn't seem to be an issue) and arthritis and hip displaysia (I have no clue how to spell this).  I'm just hoping its something predictable and part of the aging process.  Her mood is unchanged, she is as much a housecat as she was. 

She follows me everywhere, she lies down next to me every night with her head resting on my legs.  She is in every sense of the word loyal.  Its funny, I fostered dogs before her and knew that I wasn't the right person for the dog.  I actually tried to convince myself that Clara would be better off with another family, but something happened.  She started doing this lean on me and she would look up and nuzzle my cheek.  I gave her a little kiss under her eye, on that really velvety cheek that dogs have.  After I did that, the leaning started happening more and more.  The nestling into bed, the sleeping at on my feet, the incessant whine at the door or window when I was leaving, it all started to add up: She had in fact adopted me. 

The day came in early May when a potential adoptive family contacted the rescue and I was supposed to take her for a home visit.  I tried to be okay with this.  I even put the leash on her and took a step to the door.  I started bawling like a baby and looked at Aaron and said, "I can't do it.  I can't let her go."  So he said, "Well, Happy Mother's Day I guess." 

I made a silent promise to Clara that for the remainder of her days I would make her happy, comfortable and safe.  I hadn't considered that she would do the very same for me.  Such is the dedication of a rescued dog.  They really do know they were saved and it seems as though she lives every day in thanks for that.  Its the most amazing thing to witness. 

Comments

Popular Posts