Bike Helmets Are Stupid

I have had a HUGE issue with bike helmets ever since Big Brother forced one on my kids. It started when I learned how much cash the manufacturers were stuffing in to the pockets of the legislators.

I did a bit of research and learned how ineffective they are, that in many cases people are often hurt worse from the wearing of them, and that they actually cause accidents! Yep... put a lid on your kid and until she gets used to it, her mind is not on the road, but on the awkward piece of styrofoam on her head. AND... they can totally block out the sound of oncoming vehicles.

More to piss you off is that all of the "government standards" and "tests" are done on bike accidents that DO NOT involve a motor vehicle. I'm sorry, but isn't that where the big injuries come in??

Ugh. You can read more about this by clicking on the link.

Another thing... if I have to wear a stupid helmet and buckle up in my car (which I do), then please please explain how its possible that I can plummet down a mountain strapped to a board and the word helmet never crosses anyone's mind??

Also... if drving in your car is soooo dangerous that you need a seatbelt how are motorcycles legal?

Why aren't we forced to wear helmets while driving?

If I'm riding my bike at a snails pace and wearing a helmet but Joe Runner flies by without one... how is that okay? Maybe joggers should wear one. They run the same safety risks don't they?

How did I ever survive my childhood?

Confession: I don't make my kids wear the damn things. I used to make them on a bike trail but then I realized that I was only doing it because I didn't want people to think I was a bad mother. Not anymore. I'm done. Write me a damn ticket if you want. I think they're stupid and useless. So there, I said it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts