Melancholy Sunday

Maybe it was the weather....

I slept until noon. The pain in my joints has been somewhat terrible and yesterday it all caught up to me. I was tired. I am tired. I haven't been able to feel three fingers on my right hand for over a week. My shoulders and elbows are making creaking sounds which sounds just like an old door hinge.

I couldn't snap out of the blues. It was hanging there in the air and it wouldn't let go. For the first time in my life, I understood the word "melancholy." This feeling that nothing is going right, that we are all just pawns in a game. I was angry at the fruitlessness of the struggle, at the "what the hell does it all mean?" I wanted so badly to crawl under a rock and stay there. Or just get on a highway and drive for hours.

I dropped onto the couch when I got home and right about that time, Seth woke up from his nap. He stumbled over to me all warm and sleepy. Little boys post-nap is heaven. After I snuggled him in next to me and brushed my hand over his pink cheeks, I gave him a little kiss. He leaned his head against me and whispered, "Mommy. You're my best friend."

"Your my best friend too, Seth." And I held that little boy so tightly. The tears that wouldn't roll earlier stood out in my eyes, threatening to take the moment away and make it something it wasn't.







Comments

  1. Jenn you need to take every darn thing you've ever written on here - put it all together and Presto there is your book - no rhyme nor reason - it's all good. This post brought those tears to the corners of my eyes just like you said so beautifully. Just do it. Annie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts