Random Thoughts

Last  day here in Porter Hall at ole Mount Holyoke.  I just cleaned out my desk, took the pictures off my walls and stole packed up my office supplies.  And here I am, with not a damn thing to do!

I have to say that since giving my notice, that ball of anxiety in my stomach has disappeared.  I haven't obsessed once over past "situations" that have gone down in these halls.  I have not second guessed myself or my decision at all.  I have however gotten 5 calls for interviews!  Nice to know that I have mad skills to score me a shot at new gig. 

I worked 3 days last week and only today this week.  Vacation time rocks.  I will miss the 3 day Christmas holiday!  Yeah, MHC has some damn fine benefits.

If you're interested in applying for my job, its not posted yet.  It *is* a great job for the right person.  Here are the skills you will need:

*Serious, hard-core Excel.  You should know how to link worksheets in a large workbook, you should know how to do formulas. 

*MS Word.  Know your shit here too.  Tables, formatting, track changes, all those things you would use if you were in college.

*Publisher.  This will become your close and personal friend.  Its very easy to learn and if you have MS Office on your PC open it up and check it out.  Easy stuff.

*Event Planning - not your typical office meetings.  More like mini weddings with programs, invites, lots of food and gift buying.

*Budget - you should have experience with tracking a few budgets at a time.  AP and AR.

*Payroll - this is fun.  Not.

And then there is the basic admin assist stuff like needing really great writing skills.  BUT... its a writing program.  So if you struggle with spelling or grammar your life will become a whirlwind of editing and revising. You should be really okay with constantly doing and re-doing and then doing again.  I can't stress this enough.  Seriously... revisions happen for several weeks.  Several. Weeks.  Per flyer. 

Its a very busy place and there are no real down times.  You will have 6 weeks off every summer, but you don't get paid for it.  And you will get 10 vacation days, some sick time and lots of holidays. 

You will be able to apply here whenever it gets posted.  Probably not for another couple of weeks.  I think they are re-writing the position description or something.  Its a long, slow process and when I applied during good economics times I was one of over 60 applicants.  Its insane. 

Anyhow, I know a few of you have asked me about it, so there it is!  If you want nitty gritty, please email me.  There are a few things you should probably know! 

Right, so onward and upward!

~~~~~

Vacation time.  I have been doing some serious knitting folks.  I'm making two sock monkeys.  But I'm knitting the socks.  Aaron got me this adorable kit for Christmas.  The colors are different than what they show, mine are mostly blues, purples and greens.  I also knitted up a few pairs of slippers and am working on a pair of socks for myself. Other than knitting, I've been cleaning and just hanging out in my pajamas and playing with the boys. Its pretty damn fantastic!

What day is it anyway?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts