Felt

I know how you feel.  In fact, I used to feel that same way but I found....  

The oldest sales scam pitch in the book.  Known as "Feel, Felt, Found."  It uses empathy, alliteration and a little shmooze to get you all mushy and open to spending your cash.  Car salesmen used to use this. And now I know why:  It works.

I had a skein of sock yarn from Blue Moon Fiber Arts that was labeled "superwash."  I'm not sure what happened, but it wasn't so super after it was washed.  I had turned the skein into socks for me and then I, uh, I washed them.  They felted.  As in a perfect block of felt.  After their washing, they were a little big for the boys (and pink) so I couldn't' hand them down.  Too small for my daughters though.  I couldn't bring myself to throw them out, so they sort of floated around my room for several months.  Every now and then I would see them and shake my head at the shame of it.  The yarn isn't cheap and the color was just awesome.  Not too mention that socks, while super fun, are a bit of work. 

Anyhow.. fast forward to this past Superbowl Sunday.  Pre-game I went to Web's in search of a perfect yarn for a pair of worsted weight socks for Aaron.  He was with me and he picked out Plymouth Select Merino Superwash in Olive. (As a side note... this yarn is a dream to knit with!!!  Love, love, love!)  Anyhow, as we walked over to the counter to check out I asked the sales lady if she had tried to actually wash this stuff.  I told her the horror story of my BMF socks and she suggested I email them and see if I couldn't get a replacement skein. She then suggested that we never use the dryer for pure wool socks, superwash or no.  Noted.

So I did. I sent an email to the company and very politely explained what happened and how bummed out I was.  I shmoozed.  I admit it.  But hey, at $22 a pop... I want my damn socks to last more than two wearings.

About a week later I received an email back.  It was a little Feel, Felt, Found but you know what?  Totally worked.  I got me a little skein of this stuff coming to me!

I won't wash this one in a machine or let it ever see the inside of a dryer.  And I'm thinking scarf anyhow.  Or shawl.  Or wrap.  That color is just too damn pretty to put on your feet.

Comments

  1. Jen- Blue Moon is AWESOME in their customer service. Absolutely fantastic. It may take a little while for them to get back to you at times (because they are so overwhelmingly busy right now and the yarn barn lost electricity for a bit), but they always take care of their customers.
    I'm so glad you contacted them.

    I've knit a bunch of STR socks and never had any of them felt, even going through the washer and dryer. you must have had an odd skein.
    -ht

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts