A new hobby?

Life is calm.  No planning, no to do lists, no pending nuptials, so I figured now was a GREAT time for a new hobby.  Am I insane?

A friend at work sold me her mother's 1957 Singer Slant-o-Matic 401A sewing machine.  Here it is in all its perfectly preserved awesomeness:

 This is the desk it came in.  You can't see it here, but there is a knee-press instead of a foot pedal.  The insides of the drawers are like brand new. 

And this is her in all her 55 year old glory. She was completely loved and adored by Deb's mom.  There was barely even any dust or dirt or lint in her.  Everything works like brand new.  We took it all apart according the manual, cleaned and oiled her and spent way too much time taking turns on an old pillow case.  She needs a name.

First project?  Tonight I am making curtains for the boys' room.  Next?  I'm thinking of this bag.  I found it on BurdaStyle . Tons of free patterns for newbies like me.  Aaron and Autumn are a bit more gutsy and have turned up their noses at patterns.  Aaron stitched up a not-stuffed toy out of the pillow case we had destroyed and an old t-shirt.

Other things to do?  I am going to take in all my pajamas pants because they are giant on me.  I usually buy them a size too big and now that I'm down some pounds I can't keep them up.  The plan?

I am going to put them on, pin them to the right size, rip out seams, cut and re-sew.  This will either work or I'll be out shopping for new pajamas on Saturday.  The way I see it, either way I end up with something that fits.

Comments

Popular Posts