Breathe

I wrote this a year ago for my sister. I just read a friend's blog about what a mother needs, click on the title up there to see her blog. She is a single mom of two beautiful babies who were born premature. I have never met Heather. For some reason, her story and her struggles have struck a deep chord with me.

I have been reading her blog for a couple of months now and have smiled at their successes and cried with their not so great days. Alex and Spencer were born right around the time my little guys were born, only they were born over 3 monts early. I hope she sees this entry and knows that I think of her every day. Her strength, courage, and amazing grace inspire me every day.

I hope Kathy doesn't mind lending this out to her, in fact, I'm sure she'll be happy to.

Breathe

I’ve stood on the precipice, balanced on the razor’s edge.
I’ve stood on tip toe and looked at both sides.
I’ve fallen on one and come up from the other.
I’ve climbed, crawled, clambered, clung, and caught.

I’ve run, walked, jogged, trotted and sprawled.
I’ve scratched, scathed, scared, and scolded.
I’ve reached to the heavens and fallen back to hell.
I’ve bounced back, rebounded and renounced.
I’ve gone the extra mile, taken one step forward and three back so many times
I turned around and headed home just to get ahead.

I’ve cradled and coddled and curdled.
I’ve felt, found and fouled.
I’ve reached out, reached in and reached back.
I’ve loved, lost, and learned.

I’ve gained, grown and played games.
I’ve narrowly escaped, barely survived and revived.

All of these things to get where I know I should be, but can’t find the way.

So today… I stopped. Today. I breathe.

Comments

  1. Jenn, I love this poem. It's as if it was written from my heart. Thank you so much for your thoughts and friendship.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts