Internet access and Mother Memory

Wow. Having no internet access leaves a person with a whole lotta time to fill! So this is how houses got cleaned and kids were given nutritious, home-cooked meals? Who knew.

Back at work today for the long haul. 'Net access from work has given me time to do important things like read the news, hear about friends' lives, reconnect with family and see what is happening in the world.

I strolled across campus earlier to return a library book and grab an iced mocha latte. Later, I think I'll meander over to the outdoor patio and grab some grilled salmon and freshly brewed iced tea. Follow that up with a walk around the lake and feed the swans. This job is becoming more and more wonderful I tell ya.

Old job just fired the woman who had been hired after I left. I got an anonymous (not so much) call from someone who told me what had happened. Whatever the truth is, whatever happened and whatever didn't... she's a mom and I hope she finds another job quickly that fits her better. Life leads you to places for reasons and whatever brought her stay at Providence to an end is just a beginning to something new. CR I hope you find peace and that new opportunity finds you.

I also hope that the ole CAC finds a new secretary quickly and that it works out better. Those people deserve someone great. They do good work and under-appreciated jobs every day. I couldn't handle doing it anymore, God bless them for staying. I am a very, very lucky person to call them friends. And as much as I miss them... I hear the swans calling!

~~~

We brought the boys to a zoo on Tuesday. Seth stood in front of the monkeys and jumped up and down doing his best monkey impersonation. He even did the monkey arms! It was awesome. We ran into a rather young couple with twin 5 year old daughters and a 2 year old daughter. The mom was telling me how her twins were so easy compared to the 2 year old. I sort of giggled because it reminded me of a conversation I had one day with my sisters about "Mother Memory."

The theory is that moms' memories only last so long and then they slowly become unreliable reporters. Forgetting the nightmarish events and only remembering the better times is my own mother's survival guide. I remember being a pretty rotten teenager: rude, crude and downright beastly to my mom. She has NO memory of this whatsoever. None. I remember storming into my room and kicking and cussing and just acting, well, like a teenager on several dozen occasions. I have a video of my mother answering the phone and I'm on the couch all of about 17 or 18 years old. The look of total annoyance and my mom holding the phone out to me, "Jenn! It's for you!" HAHAHA! Priceless stuff right there.

So, here is this mom with her two year old on Daddy's shoulders. The 5 year olds (I refer to this age as the Golden Year) being your typical mommy-pleasing kids referring to maps and following their parents around. Aaron and I are literally chasing Seth and JP from cage to corral to cafe, stumbling on the dirt paths and calling,

"Hey! JP! Come here and look! Come here! No, no, no... don't throw rocks at the bunnies! Seth! The monkey can't eat paper! Stop that! Hey, boys... come back here! You get Seth, I'll chase JP."

The Mommy Memory of this day will be of Seth doing the monkey thing and JP laughing his butt off at the ducks. And one day I'll see a mom of twins and try to tell her that two isn't terrible or something idiotic like that.

I think that without Mother Memory the human race would have died off eons ago. If you have more than one child, you might remember that at one point during delivery you said, "I don't remember it hurting this much!" That's Mother Memory at work.

Speaking of work... I'm off.


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular Posts