A trip to the groomer

I posted this on the SATZ group today. Rather than re-type, here's what happened. As a note, PK Shader is the woman who runs this group. She changed my life.


Today was the big day. I had an idea that Marty would start out okay

but hat things might go downhill quickly. I got there early so he

would have time to really check out the place and walk around. The

groomer's shop is part of a small, all natural pet store that

specializes in organic kibbles and frozen raw foods. A friend of mine

owns it and she only carries things she would use on her own dogs... a

great place.



Anyhow, we got there and ran into another friend there. Marty was

shaking like a leaf. I walked around the store and just kept calmly

naming everyhting until he stopped shaking. I put him down and told

him that he was perfectly safe, I would NOT leave him. The groomer

knew all about Marty well in advance. They actually stayed open late

for us so no other dogs would be there by the time they saw him. Very

wonderful of them.



Marty isn't a dog who likes treats very much, so just praise and

cuddles are his rewards. We walked into the groomer's area and I could feel

him tense in my arms. I started right away with a calm voice, "Easy,

Marty. Easy now xxxxx..." And he relaxed quite a bit against me, but

he was really pressing against my chest and leaning his head into my

neck. The groomer never asked me to put him down all the way. She

worked slowly, calmly and told Marty everything she was going to do

before she did it.



Twice Marty tried to snap at her brush. The second time she put the

brush, quite ceremoniously, down and showed Marty her dryer. The

actual machine part was in another room so the noise was really not a

big deal for him. She was able to use the strong dryer on a nice cool

setting to actually blow out the thickened (not quite matted) hair

under Marty's belly. He had his back feet on the groomer's table and

his front paws up on my shoulder as I leaned over the table with him.

It was GREAT!!!



We only did a brush out and a quick trim of his back end and his feet.

He actually likes having his nails trimmed and handled which is odd

to me. And that was it. No big bath, no major haircut. The shop

closes at 2 and we left after 3. No rushing ever. It was fantastic!

And, because he is a rescue dog they only charged us like $25.



I don't know that it will ever get better than that for Marty.

Perhaps it will. But considering one month ago this little dog would

attack a brush, pee, then drop like a stone onto his side in fear at

the SIGHT of the brush... I'll take it! I was so proud of him. I

cried into his soft little furry body all the way to the van. It was

like seeing your child take his first steps. No, it was more than

that. Children take first steps out of desire and the natural order.

There is nothing natural about abusing a dog. And it isn't every day

that I see a dog take a leap of faith of that magnitude. I am once

again moved to tears over his progress and his willingness to trust.



PK... your guidance and belief in me made this little triumph happen.

I know there are literally thousands of dogs and cats and horses and

any number of other animals that have benefited from your teachings.

But add another 5 lb hero to your list of successes. One more life

forever changed. Thank you.



Jenn


Comments

  1. You are a truthful and touching writer. It is wonderful you love pets so much. I do too. I own two rescue dogs or should I say they own me. I want pets to be treated well and for people to have education and resources to also treat pet well. So I started a website that provides resources to natural, organic, holistic pet food, educational pet books, pet food cook books and wellness care, and information on pet food recalls. www.EverythingNaturalPetFood.com. Check it out and let me know if you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts