In Memory of Dan Cormier


My friend Elizabeth is the redhead giving Dan a big smooch.


Theatre people are the best. (I stole this pic from Dan's FB page.)
Dan is in the hat and blue shirt.





Westfield State College theatre program brought into my life some of the best and dearest friends I have. I attended from 1997-2001 as a non-traditional student. I started out as an English major who wanted to teach high school. After attending a play my second semester there, I fell head over heels in love. I quickly switched my concentration to secondary theatre education and never looked back.

That next fall, I met my best friend Dan Derby. Then I met Justin Lott and Monique and Michele. We became a very close bunch. The year following, I met Elizabeth and Dan Cormier and so many others.

Since graduation, I have kept in touch with Dan and Elizabeth. Even though Elizabeth now lives in New Zealand, we see each other as often as possible. Emails, Facebook and phone calls help. She does roller derby (!) and has kept her dream of becoming an actress alive.

A few years ago I worked on a production of Rocky Horror Picture Show with Dan. To help us out, Dan Cormier joined us. He and I worked lights together and I was purely awful at this. Dan was so awesome - he was always the fun-loving and life of the party type of guy. He was hysterical, always smiling and always ready for a good time. We used to play poker together and he was a master at the game. You just couldn't beat this guy!

Justin passed away a few years ago. He and Dan were great friends. Somewhere in my house I have pictures of them together at cast parties. Of course, I probably shouldn't post those in the interest of protecting the innocent and not-so-innocent!

I found out on Monday that Dan C. passed away. He died sometime during the night this past Saturday and his mom found him in bed Mother's Day morning. I have no idea what happened, but he was only 28 years old.

Every single person who met Dan immediately became a friend. If there was ever a more honest, humble and kind soul... I've yet to meet him. Dan never judged anyone based on anything other than their character. He had a way of making everyone around him smile.

Rest well friend. Until we meet again....

Comments

Popular Posts