South Hadley

I live in the town right next to South Hadley, MA. I even lived in South Hadley for a few years and my mother was raiser there after moving from Canada. My daughters attended school there briefly. I haven't posted anything about the death of a student because honestly, I just felt like her name is being used and abused by the media and another tiny blogger using it to get hits seemed, well, shitty. And so, I'll write this post and not mention her name as I'm sure you know who I'm talking about.

There is something missing from the discussion concerning bullying. There is a whole issue here that has not been discussed or treated with the gravitas it deserves. This horrible tragedy is as much about depression, hopelessness, powerlessness and suicide as it is about bullying, aggression, parenting and empathy. Two sides of the very same coin. One fifteen year old is dead and the lives of six others are now on an unchangeable path.

I don't know who knew what and when. I don't know what the adminstrators knew or what they did or what they didn't do. I do know that the reaction to this tragedy was truly awful. The School Committee, principal and superintendant seem absolutely committed to making bad decisions throughout this ordeal. From the superintendant hiding on vacation while the news media planted themselves in town to tossing out their biggest oppenent during a public meeting last night, they just can't seem to get their shit together. Yes, I do agree with those who are calling for their resignations and the numbers are growing. It would seem that the entire system failed this young lady in big, huge ways.

All of that being said...

What I really want to talk about is red flags and suicide and depression. Do you know what they are? Do your children know what they are? What do you do when you are concerned that your teenager might be "stuck" or sad or lonely? What if your child came to you and told you about a friend who was struggling? Do you have the guts to call their parents? And if you do, will your child be so angry that

Comments

Popular Posts