This too shall pass

Well, this has been a shitastic week.  Seriously.  I won't go into details, but imagine spending like 2 hours going over a budget and figuring everything out to the penny for the next two months.  Imagine that at the end of the two hours you felt like you finally were a little okay, that things were settling, that it was possible to pay everyone and everything with no issue.

Now imagine a series of unfortunate events that within 24 hours would cost you every penny you had saved up and every penny of your next paycheck and ultimately blew that budget idea into eternity.

That's the sort of week its been.  You know, I keep waiting for something to change.  For all of this to suddenly get easy somehow.  Its the optimist in me.  I had it in my mind that surely by the time 40 was on the horizon I would suddenly just get it.  Just know how to handle a budget and figure out a magical way to save.  I really thought that it would happen for me.  I think I finally get it. 

It just ain't gonna happen.

I need to let go of the dream that someday with menopause comes not only hot flashes but the ability to budget.  Wouldn't that be great?!  Hot Flash! Zap! Save $50 a week!  No problem!

I'm told this isn't part of biology.  Suck.

I"m on vacation next week.  Aaron is too.  We had some plans to do some things.  Those things are not happening.  I have no idea how to get back on top of this stuff.  None.  This cold reality has slapped me in the face and today, I dont' want to do a damn thing.  I feel defeated.  I never feel defeated.  Well, almost never.  But today, I give up.  Just for today.

 And then...  a co-worker handed me this poem:

Vacation Time


In this life of earthly woe,
vacation time I must forego!
No funds are there for frivolity
and frolicking upon the sea.

My money's spent before it's made.
Disney World will have to wait
until my proverbial ship comes in.
Vacation time... I just can't win!

And then, depression comes at last,
for summertime again has past
without the fun, the frivolity
and leisurely sunning by the sea.

And when these thoughts depress me so,
there comes a truth that I do know.
That when my time on this earth ends
an extended vacation in Heaven I'll spend.

Eternally I'll run and play
leisurely sunning all the day.
Laughing, singing joyfully!
My eternal vacation by the sea.

[ by Joanne Warrick, Copyright © 2001

She signed it, "Jenn, this too shall pass. You are loved."

Now that's how you start a vacation.  Pretty nice hah?

Comments

  1. inthisDavid and I have been vacationing at The Cape for 20 years. We splurge on a little house on the water, and have done this EVERY year, with the exception of the summer we got married. There have been many years when the $ just wasn't there. But we have chosen to pay the mortgage a week late,pay the car payment late, or skip 2 weeks of groceries to make it happen. My kids have so many memories of our time at the ocean. They are more important then bills to me. Sometimes you have to just say "Screw It!" ~ Kim G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we're still going to do the train ride and beach. Hopefully next year we'll get to do a big one. We want to go with my sister's family and rent a couple cabins in NH. We did a few years ago but right before we left my sister's back went out. It ended up being Aaron, Me and seven kids!! It was crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts