Seth's Marriage Proposal

I had a conversation with Seth the other day about marriage.  It went like this:
 
Seth:  Mommy, what's "marry" mean?
 
Me:  It means that two people love each other so much they decide they never, ever want to be apart.
 
Seth: Oh.  Well, mommy, when I get big I'm going to marry you. Okay?
 
Me:  That's very sweet buddy but you can't marry your mommy. 
 
Seth: Why?
 
Me: Because little boys don't need to marry their mommies.  They're already going to be together forever and ever.  You will find a new friend that you love and you can marry that person.
 
Seth:  That's silly. 
 
Me:  Yep. 
 
Seth:  Can I marry Aunty Kate?
 
Me: Nope. You have to find someone when you get big that isn't your aunty... (this is where it gets tricky)
 
Seth: Oh.
 
Me:  (taking the chance to be equal opportunity) You can marry a girl or a boy.  Whoever you love, you can marry and mommy and daddy will be there to throw a huge party for you!
 
Seth:  Oh cool!
 
Me:  Yeah it is pretty cool.  Its called a wedding.
 
Seth:  Did you and daddy have a party wedding?
 
Me:  Nope, not yet.
 
Seth:  Well, I think you should have one.  I'll marry my friend Katherine, she's my bestest friend in a hundred thousand, and you can marry daddy.   But you will still be my best friend okay?
 
Me:  Sounds like a plan buddy. 
 
And scene.
 
 




 

Comments

  1. love this and he picked me, he is so smart and always thinking and planning in his head, LOVE THAT BOY

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that this is saved on your blog..someday you'll go back to read this,and find the most cherished moments..enjoy every one of them..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts