Oh Honey! (Another Girl Post)

Welp, I did a stupid thing.  I messed with success.  My skin was doing so awesome.  Seriously, it was super clear and the redness was waaaay down. This meant I got cocky and decided to try out new products.  Namely, Paula's Choice.


And to add to that, I tried this anti-aging crap with Retinol and acids in it.  I ordered a sample pack of the Skin Recovery system pictured above.  It included a packet of 10% AHA weekly skin resurfacing product.  Two days ago I tried it.  And since then, my skin has been super red, irritated, blotchy and it hurts.  I am an idiot.

Why do I do this?  I know I have sensitive skin.  I know I have rosacea and eczema just lurking below the surface waiting to pounce.  I had a great system going and everything was fine.

My system was:

Day -

1. Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Milk
2. Dr. Hauschka's Toner
3. Befine Moisturizer (This is a heavy moisturizer and for dry/dehydrated skin)
4.  Two or three days per week I would use my Desonide cream (prescription)

Night -

1.  DHC Cleansing Oil to remove makeup
2.  Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Milk
3. Dr. Hauschka's Toner
4.  If I have some, I use the Hauschka Rythmic Night Conditioner but this is only if I save my pennies for a while, win some cash on a lottery ticket and score some on eBay.  Its stupid expensive, seriously check for it on eBay.

And that was it.  No special creams or acids.  I do a weekly hydrating or exfoliating mask depending on how the skin is and what the season is.  Oh!  Here is the awesome mask recipes I've worked on:

Honey Mask (Dry Skin):

1 Tablespoon raw, local honey
1 egg (preferably a cage free, organic one - they have tons more good stuff than grocery store eggs)

Mix that up and spread onto your clean face and neck.  Wait 15-20 minutes and rinse off.

Honey Exfoliation:

1 Tablespoon raw, local honey
Brown sugar

Sprinkle about a teaspoon of the brown sugar into the honey and massage gently onto clean skin.  Rinse. You can do this as an all over body scrub too.  Some people use crushed almonds instead of the sugar but I find that way too abrasive for your face.  Legs and arms it would be fine, but I wouldn't use it for the face.  This is an excellent pre-sunless tanning scrub.

Avocado and Honey Mask (Post sun, helps with irritated skin, soothing mask):
  
1 Avocado mashed up
1 Tablespoon raw, local honey
1 dollop of plain yogurt
1 Vitamin E capsule

Mix all of this together (skip the Vitamin E if you don't have it) and spread on your clean face.  Leave on for 20-30 minutes (or longer) and rinse with warm but not hot water.  You want to keep the water as tepid as possible without being cold or too warm.

Post Beach Hair Mask (This is great for dry, frizzy or chemically treated hair)


2 Tablespoons raw honey
Scoop of coconut oil, then heated and melted*

Coconut oil. This shit is amazing.  Its crazy cheap, you use a tiny bit and the stuff lasts FOREVER.  Aaron started buying it for the soap he was making and I started googling ways of using this giant tub of it.  Turns out there is an entire school of thought on this stuff as being a cure all for everything from dry skin to hair care.  So, its a solid.  You have to warm it and melt it.  I do this on a low setting in the microwave and just watch it.

* You can just use the coconut oil on your hair or you can add in the honey as well.
* Coat dry hair with coconut oil (mixed with honey if you're using it)
* Clip hair up and wrap it in saran wrap (this helps keep the hair warm so the oil and honey can soak in, it also protects your couch and pillows from getting oily)
* Leave on at least 2 hours or overnight if you want
* Wash hair the next day

It may take two washings to totally remove this from your hair.  I know it does for me.  I have a wet look thing for a day but my hair is super shiny and soft from this.  Some women never shampoo their hair and only use coconut oil on it.  I don't think I like this, but whatever works for you.  It would certainly be cheaper!

For even more uses for your coconut oil, check out this site:

52 ways to use coconut oil
 
 Have fun!
 


 


Comments

Popular Posts