I don't know if its possible to feel more at home than I do right now. There is something so familiar about this place. It might be the air, the trees, the "467" phone number. It might be the cozy feel only a ranch house can offer. The sound of my screen door swinging shut as my boys race outside to hang on a tire swing or chase a butterfly. The simple joy of finding a little toad in your grass.

I lived in the city for four years. And before that Westfield, Chicopee, South Hadley and Holyoke. Granby was my home though. My zip code may have been different, but whenever I was asked where I was from, Granby was always the first place I mentioned. It would go something like, "Granby. I live in X, but I'm originally from Granby."

As a teenager I couldn't wait to get the heck out of this town. It was boring. There was nothing to do. It totally sucked. Sound familiar? If you grew up here or if you're raising teenagers here, you know this song and dance. And secretly you're smiling because you know. You know that "boring" and "nothing to do" really means peaceful and safe. Granby isn't perfect, it has its problems and its crime and all the social issues that you find in any city or town. There is just so much less of it.

ut you can't stay in a bubble: you need to get to work, to the store, to the doctor's office.


Comments

Popular Posts