Baseball - A Background Memory

Its 9:30pm, Friday. I'm working. Can you tell?

I went to New House today with my girls, boys and two dogs. Somehow the owner seemed okay with me and my travelling circus and let us all in. The girls hadn't seen it yet and seemed pretty happy with it. We got home and they ran upstairs to finish packing, so I guess that was a good sign.

Seth and JP have been being coached on the idea of moving and a new house. When we got inside he couldn't understand why his toys weren't there. It was pretty funny.

I learned something. The sound of a baseball game on television immediately makes me yearn for my parents' old plaid couch, Garfield pajamas and a pillow. I can see my father sitting in his chair, a cold can of Miller on the little table by his chair, a burning cigarette in the ashtray. In a few moments we'll wake up my mom for work (two or three nights a week, always at 9:45pm for her night shift). After she leaves, I grab a glass of cold milk, climb up the ladder to my bunk bed and leap over the bar. My door is cracked just so and I fall asleep to the sounds of the Red Sox vs Yankees. The occasional gasp, yell and chair slap coming from the living room. Gotta love the Sox - right?

I don't consider myself a sports-minded person. I barely know a handful of the teams in major league ball. Funny how a background soundtrack like this can bring back so vividly time, place, and color. I think I might be 10 or so in these memories but when a ball game is on the tv - it could have been yesterday. Amazing.

Comments

Popular Posts