I'm home. Finally. I feel like I'm at home. There are trees and boulders and bugs and frogs and a tire swing. The crickets are singing and I haven't heard a car drive by in about 15 minutes now. Its 9pm. At night, you can hear the breathing in the house, a bird call out every now and then and crickets singing to each other. When day breaks, the trees burst to life with squirrels scurrying to find breakfast and Robins flit from branch to branch.

Afternoon I usually watch the horses walk by on their way to the park. Folks jogging, kids riding bikes with fishing poles over their shoulders. My boys run through the yard and spin from a tire swing. They are dirty, hot and sweaty. They get tired from playing and ask for a rest. They are happy and carefree today. The stress of the move is lifting and routine is starting to come back to them.

The air outside is clean and fresh. The slight tinge of horse, hay and farm. Sweet. It smells sweet. I am searching for the perfect spot for the hammock I don't even own yet. I can imagine the lazy day I'll spend in it, reading a good book and sipping lemonade.

Small town life. Where there are no secrets and everybody knows your name. Sure, there are draw backs to this. But I just left a place where for four years I spoke to one neighbor a few times and didn't know the others' names at all. We would wave occasionally, but basically nobody knew us and we didn't know them. The seeds I had wanted to plant in Springfield just couldn't take root there. I never felt totally safe, never could find the privacy and space I so desperately craved.

So, here I am. Back to where I started from. ;;


Comments

Popular Posts