Spook The Cow

We had this cow. My brothers got her for working on a farm in town as payment. Farr's. The idea was to keep her, fatten her up and then butcher her. Now, there were five kids in our house. In fact, that's me sitting on Spook in my fancy hat and red pants.
My mom is right behind me. As I type this I'm struck by the fact that she was right around my age now in this shot. 21. I kid... I'm 29. Seriously, I'm 35. Lisa is next to mom, short even then! And Kathy is there in the shining dark hair and purple jacket. Not pictured are my brothers: Mike and Jim. They were the oldest in the family. Assuming I'm about a year old here, Mike was 13-14ish when this was taken and so Jim was around 11 or 12ish. Lisa is probably 9ish and Kathy is 10ish.

Needless to say, there wasn't going to be any butchering.

My father... my father was terrified of this cow. He was a city kid and a pretty tough guy, but for some reason whenever Spook saw that someone was coming to:

a. Pet her
b. Ride her
c. Feed her

she would RUN at you. Full on run. My dad would have nothing to do with this oversized dog.

Spook would usually break loose everyday after the bus took off with all the kids going to school. And five mothers would have to chase her down the street and catch her, walk her back home and fix the fence. Oh how they must have LOVED this!

Every winter and spring our yard would flood. Like over your knees. So, we would have to use our pepere's (that Grandfather in francaise) aluminum row boat to get to Spook. We would push the boat with this huge, metal tent pole. Ten kids piled in a little boat in freezing weather to go feed a stampeding cow. My how this would never happen today!!

So, here we are: my mom, my two sisters and me and Spook The Cow. All sitting around in our backyard taking staged photos of ourselves and this little calf. I am not too sure whether Spook avoided the butcher shop forever or not. We ended up selling her to a farm or something. My mind is a bit fuzzy on this detail which means I was probably lied to and we ate her for dinner for a month.

My God, I just noticed my mom is wearing brown, plaid bell bottoms. Nice!!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Spoke didn't get buchered mike did sell her to a farmer and friend she had a cafe then later there was a fire and thats how our spooke died sorry to tell you jenn mike used to go out there and fall asleep with her and "smoke" haha Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah it was the moulin farm behind ciach's. Not sure if i spelt it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Mike sold "spook" the neighbors were sorry to see her leave..Mike used to sell her manure in the spring for everyones garden..by the way those pants were "cool" then!!!!MOM

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts