Autumn

My first born is 16 today. I remember 16 well. Most of it fondly, some of it not so much. I was so completely different from Autumn at that age.

Autumn is bold and confident. Even if she isn't sure of something, she is absolutely certain of the fact that she isn't sure. Her boldness and willingness to try almost anything began in tiny little steps. First it was food. She'd try anything we offered her and to this day the more exotic the food, the happier she is. Her favorite meal at my house is liver and onions with bacon. She loves sushi. And now? Its pieircings. It makes my skin crawl personally, but she would pierce almost anything if I said yes. I have said yes to two: her nose and her lip. The rest will have to wait two years.

Autumn is an original in many ways. Unlike a lot of teenagers, she isn't afraid to stand up for herself or a friend. She has a voice and she uses it. Strong opinions, bold beliefs and clarity of thought are all a part of what makes her okay with herself. If she has insecurities, and I'm sure she does, she owns them and faces them. But good luck trying to figure them out!

I remember when Autumn was in 3rd or 4th grade, her teacher told me a story about something she did at recess. Some kids were picking on another kid and Autumn, who has always been the smallest kid in the grade, walked right over told the bigger kids off six ways to Sunday. She held her ground in spite of how scared she might have been. One of my most proudest moments of being her mom was hearing this.

After hearing about the tragic suicide of a young girl in the very next town, a result of horrible bullying, I reflected back on this very event. I wish Phoebe had had an Autumn in her class. There is no telling what a simple act of kindness can do; what events might be different and what paths might be taken.

That's my daughter. She is stronger than I was at 16. She has a good head on her shoulders. She is smart. She is brash. She loves horror movies and a good book. She can easily choose a side but sometimes struggles with seeing another point of view (not always, but sometimes). She can be defiant (13 was fun!). She isn't perfect. She doesn't want kids of her own she says. She hates to babysit. She likes a clean room. She is creative. She loves pottery, My Chemical Romance, hard rock, black jeans and her new leather coat. Her hair should have fallen out by now due to the bleaches and dye jobs.

She has no idea what she wants to do when she grows up and I am happy for that. The world is at her feet and the possibilities are endless. And she is exactly the kind of young woman who knows it and is fearless enough to grasp onto the best ones and adventure off to find out where it takes her.

So, happy birthday to the young lady who once had an imaginary pet dragon that followed her everywhere.

Love you,
Mom

Comments

  1. and she has a fondness for Mongolian Hamsters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and mice. Remember the mouse she had for like five years? Mousicula!

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT DISCRIPTON OF OUR AUTUMN!!!SHE'S GOING TO RULE THIS WORLD....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought it was rats, she is a beautful person thats for sure happy b-day love aunty kate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts