Brown Eggs are not always local and not always fresh

Brown eggs might be local, and they might be fresh.  So aren't the white ones.  Check out this little article about eggs and what labels are useless and which ones might help.  It all comes down to knowing exactly where your chickens are from.  As an aside, I went into Red Fire Farm in Granby yesterday to pick up a dozen (I was in the area) and they wanted.... FIVE BUCKS A DOZEN!!  I left, went to Breezey Acres, waved at the chickens and picked up a dozen for $2.75.  Just sayin'.


Comments

  1. Red Fire's eggs are organic...organic feed costs almost twice the ammount as well as maintaining the fields that hey free range in in an organic way..we are Red fire members and keep our own chickens now..

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, the feed costs are higher. Evelyn's place isn't certified organic, you are correct. I've known her my whole life and her family has farmed that land for generations and nary a chemical used. She feeds organic and her chickens are running around the fields eating up the bugs and vegetation.

    Its personal choice... if you are out of town and don't know Evelyn or her family's history, you might choose to pay more to make sure you're getting organic eggs. Pesonally, I just can't afford $5 a dozen.

    I love Red Fire Farm. I love that they are in town and that it is bringing agriculture and farming to college students who might otherwise not have the opportunity to learn this.

    I am a shopper there on occasion, but on a tight budget the prices are a bit high for me. I know they are on keel with other organic farm stands though. Its too bad that "organic" has to be accessible to only those who can afford it though isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts