My job

I work for an ivy league, all women's college. Within that world I work for a Leadership Program that has a writing center, mentoring, community learning. The young women who attend this private college are already among the best and brightest. The students who work for our program are among the best of the best on campus. I am surrounded every day with over-achievers trying desperately to make something of their lives. Some of them will, some won't. $200,000 education guarantees nothing in this world.

The woman who runs these programs, my boss's boss, is quite simply one of the brightest and most incredible human beings I've had the pleasure of meeting. You don't work there, you're a part of something. And every task, every spreadsheet, every event I plan, every bulletin board created I'm openly thanked and appreciated. I like my work. It isn't glamorous. I don't make a lot of money. And it isn't the end all and be all of who I am. But I learn something every day. I am encouraged to grow and learn. I am allowed to be a mother and am expected to leave work to attend school meetings and doctor appointments. They work around my boys' daycare hours.

When JP was going through his hard times, I had weekly meetings with my two bosses. Not to check on my ability to perform, but to see if I was okay. To see if I needed them to hire a student to help me with my workload.

This is where my path has lead me. I listened to my instincts and took a leap when I left my other job. And it was hard to find my place in a new job. I think maybe I'm still trying to do that. But I do love what I do. And that's really something to smile about.



Comments

  1. Can I PLEASE have your job? Or one exactly like it? How in the world did you get MY dream job?!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts