Another day, another diagnosis

Well, its official.  Seth was officially diagnosed with ADHD yesterday.  Note my lack of shock, surprise or feelings of, "Wow! I didn't see that!"

This came to be after many screenings, tests, evaluations, meetings and discussions.  I filled out a lot of questionnaires.  I read a lot.  I asked a lot of questions and now here we are.

The miracle of melatonin has given Seth the gift of an easy bedtime.  He can fall asleep within 30 minutes of me giving him his "bedtime vitamin." And now, the doc we spoke to yesterday (who was WONDERFUL!!) suggested medication for him on a daily basis.

This is tough isn't it?  Do I? Don't I?

Well, I'm going to try it.  If we don't like it, we can stop.  If it helps him, then problem solved.  If it doesn't, then we'll either try something else or we won't.  I think with the added therapy and IEP at school, some classes for Aaron and I with a social worker to learn how to help Seth be a happy, successful little guy and medication we're really heading towards success. 

I don't think people really understand ADHD for school-age kids.  Considering Seth isn't yet 4, this is even less understood.  I consider myself a pretty good judge and well-read.  I know my son and I know his struggles.  So for us, this is the path we're going to try.  It isn't the choice everyone would make and I applaud them for that.  Every parent needs to make the best choice they can for thier kids... and this is ours.  I haven't been know to jump into things unaware or uneducated.  I trust my decision and I feel pretty good about it.  It will be interesting to see how this affects him.  God willing, it will put Seth back in control of himself a little. 

Here's to an uneventful weekend...


Comments

Popular Posts