Kindness and Light

Kindness is found when you least expect it.   A lesson learned. 

I procrastinate. 

I hadn't gotten a parking decal on the car I'm driving (thank you Kate!).  So, over the past month or so, I managed to get two tickets on campus at $30 each.  My fault totally.  Yesterday, I finally got my arse over to the Parking Office to get my decal.  Which is free by the way... I really had NO reason to not do this.

The Parking Office I'm familiar with from my days at Westfield State College was one of the least organized, biggest hassle and most horrible place this side of the RMV.  I paid parking tickets there for 4 years only to have to repay them all when all my records were lost.  It was pay up or don't graduate.  There was a huge parking space shortage and I don't think I'm exagerrating by saying I paid well over $1000 in tickets.  And this was the norm on that campus.  The line to pay your tickets was usually out the door and down the sidewalk.  It was a line of very angry, very broke state college students.  Not exactly pleasant, so you can imagine the ladies at the desk right?

Fast forward to 2009 Mount Holyoke College:

No line.  Never a line.  A kind smile and greeting.  I hand over my registration and explain that I need a new decal for a "new" car.  We chat about knitting because she had the most beautiful sweater on and it appeared to be hand-knit.  And I'm lately obsessed with my new hobby.  I go on to explain that I also had two tickets I needed to pay.

"Were you in a faculty/staff parking area?"

"Yeah, I just didn't get the decal right away."

"Sweetie, you're hear to make money not pay fines.  Here's my card, send the tickets to me and I'll take care of them."

"Really?  Wow, thanks!"

Conversation turns to how the economy is so horrible and the college is really going through a tough time.  I mention that it seems to be like that everywhere: tough times.  We chat a bit about how long the winter seems.  I say, "It feels like its been cold and dark forever."  This strikes something inside me and suddenly I'm not talking about the weather anymore.  She picks up on this somehow. 

Charlyn put her pen down and took off her glasses.  She folded her arms on her desk and looked me right in the eyes.

"Just remember, the light is coming back.  In just a few weeks we'll have our daylight back and the sun will find us."

I thanked her for saying that and on my way back to my office, the sun peeked out just long enough to remind me what it felt like to have warmth on my face. 

Indeed, the sun will come back.  In little glimpses and spots of warmth.  In those moments, I feel almost ready to let it shine on and on and on. 

Well, almost.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts