What's the deal with knitting?

Last November, in a desperate move to get my mind on things other than repeating over and over and over again that Patrick had left us, was no longer here, I picked up a pair of knitting needles and a skein of yarn. I knew the very basics of casting on stitches, how to knit and how to purl. I didn't know about stockinette stitch or garter stitch. I didn't what the heck a "dpn" was and I certainly had never made an object or finished a single scarf.

I, as I'm wont to do, threw myself into a world I knew little about: knitting world. I joined Ravelry, I watched tutorials online and read knitting blogs, found Knitty.com and discovered KnitPicks.com. I found Webs in Northampton and quickly learned that there exists time warp among us and it is in the bargain corner, right next to the $2 bin. I found a knitting group on campus and a few wonderful ladies with talent that would drop your jaw and slip your stitches. I shared my new journey with my mother, who had in fact taught me those first, basic skills. Who I knew knitted my father a beautiful Irish sweater among many other heirlooms.

Slowly but surely I knitted and knitted and knitted. I made dishcloths. I learned how to cable (surprisingly simple... but most of knitting is). I learned all about dpn's (double-pointed needles) and how to make a sock with 4 of the little buggers. At that point, I had about 30 projects lined up in my Ravelry queue but this whole sock-making thing was pretty much an obsession.

So, here I am... eight months later. I feel a bit stunted by my plodding pace but quite happy with the progress I've made. My stitches are even, I can fix my own mistakes and am learning how to read a pattern fairly well. I'm not so much a beginner now, maybe intermediate. The thing with knitting is... it really is all just two simple stitches: knit and purl. So, what's the draw?

For me, after being an escape, knitting is a link and a connection to women (and men!) who for generations have held two sticks in their hands created something out of nothing. My mother gave me her knitting needles not long after I really got into it. It was probably the best gift anyone has ever given me. Every time I pick them up, I see the tips are worn by her. I think about what she was making with them and who it was for. I wonder what her days were like and what color the yarn was that she was working with. Knitting has become something bigger than a craft in my world, its a tradition.

I'm not the only one who feels this way. Just google "knitting" and you will see what I mean. There exists this entire underground world of knitters, crocheters, spinners, dyers, you name it. Its all under the title of "fiber arts." There is a movement among this community to elevate knitting and fiber arts to more than just a hobby or what old ladies do. The average age of knitters is currently 30ish. Its an industry with exponential growth, one that hasn't been affected by the current economy at all. So, what's up with this?

I can only tell you that when you start knitting, if its for you... you won't stop. It becomes a part of your life I guess. I bought a new purse based on this factor: It will easily fit a sock-in-progress. I'm not disturbed by this fact at all, in fact other knitters out there just went, "Ummm... is there another reason to buy a bag?"

The Yarn Harlot just wrote a blog entry that perfectly says what I'm trying to say. I would venture over to her blog if you have a moment and check out her gift to her dear friend Tina. You see, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee is a rock star in the knitting world. She and a team of knitters just pulled off Sock Summit 2009. If you go over to her site, you'll see what I mean!

People have suggested to me that I should sell my socks. Considering that they take me a while to make and that the yarn alone can cost anywhere from $10 - $50 (or more) for a pair... not sure that there is a market for $30 socks! No, socks that are hand-knit are gifts. From picking out the perfect colorway then the perfect pattern, hand-made socks are about as personal as it can get. Tina's gift from Stephanie is an example of what knitting can mean and that socks aren't just socks.

Comments

  1. I would find it hard to put into words. It is partly to do with always having something new to look forward to. It is about the need to create. Yarn makes my stomach flip like some men do though I have no wish to do the same things with yarn.It is a challenge. It is a way of making things perfect, even though I have yet to do that. It is abotu wanting beauty around me and comfort. In my mind I fantasise about sitting on a porch, knitting, in an idyllic cottage with just a few loved ones and pets and good weather. I guess i didn't find it so hard to put into words after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like how on ur daughters birthday u wrote about kniting mom kniting wow that's ridiculous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts