Thoughts on moving and living on the cheap

Went groceries yesterday. On the cheap... which means I went to Wal-Mart. Or as I like to call it, the 7th Circle of Hell. Apparently, it really is cheaper to shop there! If word gets out, those places will be a plague on society and there will be one in every strapped-for-cash town, city and suburb.

What?

You're Kidding?

True. That's true. Who knew? Oh.

I saved over $70 yesterday. And I bought diapers (el cheopo brand), laundry detergent (did you know freaking Tide is really expensive???) and everything except meat. I just can't do it. I don't mean hot dogs and things in packages with labels... I mean steak, chicken and fish. Can't do it, I just don't trust Wal-Mart cows to be eaten by my family.

I was unpacking my bags and told Aaron that I had made the ultimate in sacrifices. No, not the Aveda salon hair colorist who is a freaking artist. One even bigger than that: Coffee. I bought Sam's Choice Fair Trade/Organic coffee beans. It went like this:

Me: So, you see that purple bag of coffee beans?

A: Yeah.

Me: I just want you to know how committed I am to this "saving money" journey we're on.

A: OK

Me: Those are Wal-Mart brand beans.

A: ???

Me: Yeah, Sam's Choice freaking coffee. I hope you're impressed?

A: But, Jenn... you didn't have to go that far! You didn't have to- I mean- Jenn?!

Me: No, no its fine. Really. I'll just try it and if its anisette slop, I'll just ditch 'em. It can't be that bad. They're in a nice bag.

A: (grabs the bag from the counter and stares at the alien form, looks at me in awe and rapture) Well, I guess. I mean, you're crazy and all. Seriously.

Me: Does this mean we should (gulp), drink Bud Light again?

A: (stalks out of kitchen, shaking his head)

And... SCENE.

So, I tried the Sam's Choice Fair Trade/Organic Coffee Beans in their purple bag for $5.37 this morning. And you know, it wasn't half bad. Not bad at all. Drinkable even. I was incredibly surprised. And I even got a mean caffeine buzz from it. Nice!

~~~~~~

The house. It looks like a go for Granby folks. The woman didn't come right out and say, "you got it" but she was very clear that it was pretty much ours. So how do you like that?

If it happens (we're at about a 90% yes), it will happen on July 15th. Which means we will have central air for the rest of the summer!! Woot!

OK - I'm out. Gotta work. Oh yeah... no internet at home anymore. I don't see this lasting.


Comments

Popular Posts