I would like my own express window

at Baystate Pediatric Emergency Department. I have never been to the ER so much in my life. And considering the clutz gene my family carries... that is saying A LOT.

On Tuesday, Seth got bit by either

a. a bee
b. an ant
c. random insect

Not sure really. But the whole side of his face, his ear and part of the side of his neck are bright red and tender and sore. I picked him up from daycare and it had just happened. In that little bit of time his skin was fire engine red and hot. And he was whiny and tired. I called the pediatrician's office and the nurse was all, "Get him to an ER!" Off we went, again.

They don't play around with allergic reactions, so that actually worked in our favor. We didn't have to wait hours to be seen. The moment I told the triage check-in nurse person what happened, she lifted his shirt and had another nurse watch his breathing. They then whisked us into the triage center, then the pediatric emergency department. It was amazingly fast and the doc we saw was very nice. He looked younger than Doogie Howser, but whatever.

I left with an epi-pen prescription and a firm warning that his reactions could escalate as he ages. Great.

He was still red this morning but he said it wasn't a "boo boo face" anymore. I'll take that as healing. He could have stayed home today, but he wanted to stay with JP.

Benadryl is a wonder drug. The boy was asleep by 8:30 last night! Oh I think this allergy thing could really work to my benefit.

That was horrible... I take it back. I don't really. I do. No... that's selfish. Honest though too.


Comments

Popular Posts