Mountain Day!

Yesterday was Mountain Day... basically that means I showed up for work and was told I could go home.  Paid, surprise day off.  Which also meant that I could go with Aaron to the boys' speech testing appointments. 

Two hours, one hour with each boy, for part 1.  A quick follow up with the speech and language pathologist started with, "Well, I just have to ask. Has your son Seth been evaluated or tested for ADHD?"

Another licensed professional saying the same thing.  I believe she is the fourth or fifth now?  Which is fine, but you know... the boy is 3. I keep getting sort of stuck between "Let them use whatever label they want, as long as he gets a good education and what he needs to succeed." and "He's THREE PEOPLE!  Can we back off and let him do his thing for a little while?"

How do you balance this?  I am open to suggestions.  I know he is sort of all over the place.  The child has more energy than anyone I've seen.  And I see people on cocaine in my second job.  Seth has them beat.  He gets into everything.  He doesn't really sit and do one thing.  He'll sit through a book, but staying with a story is very hard for him.  He will draw and color with me but not for very long.  And more than that - when he walks into a room for the first time its simply overwhelming trying to keep him out of everything.  Everything needs to be touched, tasted, picked up, climbed on or under, tossed, or used in some way.  Nothing is left un-investigated.  And this is the first two minutes.

He is Always like this.  No matter what.  Its exhausting to watch nevermind trying to keep him and everything around him in one piece.

Well, we have to go for the second round of testing in 3 weeks.  Both boys are delayed, which I knew.  Seth is harder to understand and he adds in gibberish to his sentences. Apparently this is a bigger concern than his actual vocabulary.

A lot happening with them both right now.  Pre-school screenings are done, now they are scheduling observations for daycare and further testing.  The testing getting done is fantastic... my insurance was saying "No" to paying for it so this is a big relief.  The special education team and pre-school team at our local school has been really wonderful.  Here's hoping they can go more than just 2 or 3 days a week though.  JP would not do well with an interrupted schedule, he really needs predictability.  We've requested 5 days, but I don't think that is possible. 

Okay - back to work.

Comments

  1. I think if a diagnosis means it will be easier to get services for Seth then take it. It doesn't have to stick forever.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts