...for the funding

I'm sure you heard about the Komen foundation recently pulling its funding from Planned Parenthood.  My jaw hit the floor when I read this.  I had read some disturbing things about this foundation and the fact that they only actually contribute 24% of its donations to actually "finding a cure."  I remember when the foundation sued a tiny non-profit for using "for their cure" in their name and advertising materials.

Just read this article about the latest bad press and incredibly mystifying decision to pull funding from an organization that spends more money on preventative medical care for poor women than just about any other in the nation.  Planned Parenthood is a necessity for women without access to primary care doctors, regular OB/GYN check-ups and mammograms.  In fact, 97% of what PP spends is on these very services.  Name one other organization that has done more for poor women across this country if you can.  Less than 3% of PP's budget is spent on abortion, yet this is the one thing organizations and whacko politicians like to pick at.  Nobody likes abortion, least of all the woman waiting for her own.

I know that Komen for the Cure does a lot of great things.  I don't agree with how they do it and it seems as though they have commissioned a horrible disease for profit.  Once upon a time this foundation was truly about finding a cure and not about pink KFC buckets or toxic perfume with a pink ribbon on it.

I am going to send a small donation to PP in thanks.  I encourage you to do the same.

Edit:  Read this.  Me thinks the public outcry worked.  Excellent work.

Comments

Popular Posts