Girly Post

The past two weeks I have spent more time than I should learning (or re-learning) makeup and skin care stuff.  Here are the sites I've used for most of this:

I have this super sensitive skin that likes to be all blotchy, rough and red and is prone to eczema breakouts. Certain brands, chemicals and preservatives make this worse.  As does the weather, stress, moon phase, and what is on television.  Its a mystery what brings it on, but I do know that harsh stuff just destroys my skin.  Its actually really itchy and when its bad, its painful.  This, naturally, is only on my face and neck. Having super fair skin streaked and blotched with brilliant red patches is super sexy.  Especially on your wedding day.

 In my search for affordable, easy to find cures I had been unsuccessful until a few days ago. 
 
Ladies, this stuff is crazy fantastic:  Cetaphil. To get my skin back to a normal texture, I used the Restoraderm but will likely switch to the other lighter versions if I have to. 

Let's put this in perspective.  I was using Dr. Hauschka products which run around $25 - $30 per ounce. I can't afford this (I was shopping online on eBay to buy it cheaper, but it was still pricey and hard to find on a consistent basis).  If you break it down, the Cetaphil is $1.20 per ounce (bought at Walgreens for $12, 10 ounce bottle)!!

I also switched to DHC Cleansing Oil.($26 for 6.7 ounces). The cleanser is very, very gentle and it removes every trace of makeup without a lot of rubbing.  Even waterproof mascara and eyeliner! Score! This cleanser isn't as cheap as the Cetaphil so I will make the switch after its gone.  Its still substantially less than the Dr. Hauschka line. 

~~~

Primer. 

I had my pre-bridal makeup done a couple of months ago by the amazingly talented Liz Washer (her bridal site is here).  During it, she schooled me a bit on the benefits of primer (spackle for your face). 

  • Here's the why for dehydrated skin:  it seals in moisture.  
  • Here's the why for oily skin:  You can buy the matifying type to absorb excess oil
  • Here's the why for mature skin:  Its spackle!  It goes over pores, fine lines, etc.  
  • Here's the why for any skin:  It protects your skin from harsh weather and adds a layer between your skin and makeup. 

Thing is, she uses the Smashbox primer which is $32 per ounce.  On Makeup Alley I discovered a substitute:  Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel.   Same. Exact. Stuff.  Oh, the price?  $3.80 per ounce!!  I bought it and couldn't believe it.  I had picked up a sample of the Smashbox stuff and compared the two.  Absolutely the same.  The ingredients even matched. 


~~~~~

Airbrush Makeup

Liz uses Temptu Pro on all her faces.  Runways, weddings, magazine photo shoots.  When she was finished with my face, it looked like she borrowed a 20 year old's skin and popped it on my face.

My makeup was totally natural looking.  It also covered up everything.  I mean pores, acne scars, redness, blotchiness, you name it.  What was even more amazing?  I couldn't feel it.  It was as though I had no makeup on at all.

How?

Well, the Temptu airbrusher uses the tiniest bit of makeup.  It also doesn't settle into your skin.  It sort of floats on top.  She could spray more on areas that needed concealing and less on other areas.

Temptu also has a highlighter and blush for their airbrusher.  (Liz didn't use that on me, she did a regular powder blush and highlight.)

So, guess what I just did?

~~~~~

How to pick colors that look natural?

I always struggled with this.  I have dark hair, green eyes and very fair but freckled skin.  I could never choose the right blush or lipstick without going to a counter at Macy's.  I don't want to pay $20 or $25 for lipstick.  Not now when Revlon products are half-price and excellent quality. 

I discovered this site: Irene Ritter's Science of Personal Dress

  • To choose a blush - pinch your cheeks a bit.  That blush you just got naturally?  That's the color you want. 

  • To choose a lipstick - Pull your bottom lip out and look at the color of your gums at the darkest.  Voila!  That color will match your skin perfectly.  You can go lighter or darker, but essentially there is your most perfect shade. 
~~~~

Okay, I have a wedding to plan!  18 Days!
 

Comments

Popular Posts