Its Valentine's Day

Yeah so its a totally made-up greeting card induced thing, but I don't really care.  I am up to my eyeballs in finding music and poems and quotes to share with guests at our wedding.  Yesterday we ordered our rings from Stonebrook Jewelers via Etsy.  Custom rings with a secret engraving.  They are referred to as either Damascus Steel or mokum gane, They are so different and I can't wait to see them when they arrive.  Aaron's is black and mine is a high polish. 

So, its sort of fitting that I'll spend a good deal of time today working on the details.  But you know what?  I have another love in my life, one that spans all the way back to 1995. 

Anne Rice.

And today her new book is out.  I know this because I pre-ordered this thing a month ago and sometime around midnight it was magically delivered to my Kindle.  I woke up this morning and there it was. 


My love of Anne Rice is now almost twenty years in the making.  I have a tattoo on my back that I had done in her honor.  Its a theater mask from The Vampire Lestat graphic novel.  Probably one of the dorkiest things I've ever done and I still love it.

There are a lot of things I have to do today.  And each one is an obstacle to this book.  All I want to do is curl up in my bed and read and read and read.  Anne Rice's novels take me to places I don't want to leave and she opens the possibility that anything is possible.  She creates worlds unto themselves and her rich and beautiful prose weave through the pages leaving her readers feeling at once sated and hungry for more. 

There is no other writer like her.  There never will be another.  I haven't loved every one of her books, but there are thirty-one of them to choose from.  Of those, my very favorite is Cry to Heaven. I read this book and when it was finished, without a moment's hesitation, I flipped right back to page one and read it again.  There has never been another book that I did that for.  I have read it at minimum a dozen times.  Its really that stunningly gorgeous. 

So, here you go world.  Anne's latest gift to us.  Happy Valentine's Day.

Comments

Popular Posts