Downtime and Monkeys

The weather in these parts is damn perfect lately. God I love this.

Yesterday I got to hang out with adults. I went to my BFF Dan's play reading. The composer of the play, Michael, hosted the gathering. His home a restored Victorian built in 1903. The hardword still has the original in-lays, all the woodwork is totally restored throughout right down to the dental work outside and the built-ins in the dining room. A small group of us sat around a baby grand piano and read the first 5 scenes out loud while Michael played the songs on the piano and sang. Sipping wine and snacking on veggies, fruit and cheese. Lovely. Just lovely. The other mom in the group enjoyed it as much as I did!

I just couldn't get over that house. It was so beautiful and so CLEAN! No toys, no dog hair, no pop wrappers anywhere. Amazing. I envy the gay man life sometimes. I really do. Of course, it was pretty nice to get home and be greeted by two little voices saying in chorus, "Mommy!!! Hi Mommmmyyyy!"

Did I really write BFF? What a dork.

Auditions are coming for the play I'm directing. I get a knot in my stomach every time I think about it. The doubting monkeys in my mind are out in force. Here's what the little bastards are saying:

*You haven't done theatre in years, you have no clue what you're doing.

*You don't have enough experience to do this.

*You can't block for shit.

*Do you even know how to run auditions?

*That script analysis is a joke.

*The show is too big for you.

*You'll never get people to audition...

The list goes on. But you know something, if you don't do things that scare the hell out of you... are you even alive? That's my take on it. I *can* do this. And I can do a great job. So, monkeys be damned... I'm doing this. And its gonna kick some ass.

So Arthur Miller... a chick is about to direct your (in my opinion) best play. How do you like me now?


Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

  1. Hey Jenn,

    Congrats on the directing gig! That is awesome! I love plays, and although I have thought that I would love to be in one, I have never had the balls to actually do it since maybe 4th or 5th grade, when you had to be in them with the rest of the class. If I lived near you I'd come see it. You'll have to keep us posted on how things are going with it.
    best wishes, Jenn

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts