Where we were.

I was ironing my work clothes. Ken was sitting on the couch and he sort of gasped.



"Oh MAN!! Some pilot just crashed into the World Trade Center! Dude, that HAD to hurt!"


I kept ironing, but his prodding and persuasive, "Oh dude! That suuuucks!" made me too curious to stay in my room. I peeked out into the living room. The television showed Katie and Matt sort of stuttering and saying how they didn't know what happened and blah blah blah.


"Wow, that's crazy. Why would they know what the hell happened? Shut up Katie and Matt. God,that's annoying. How the hell would they have a clue? Are they the fucking FAA?" I hadn't had my morning coffee yet and I was running late for work.


From the bathroom I hear, "JENN! HOLY SHIT! COME HERE! ANOTHER FRICKIN' PLANE JUST
HIT THE OTHER TOWER! JENN! WE'RE UNDER ATTACK, COME HERE! WE ARE SO GOING TO WAR."

Ken, always the astute historian-slash-politico. He started in on the war and naming everyone we knew in the military.


Autumn was at school, Danielle was in the living room. I went running in and saw in full color, along with the rest of the country, the two towers on fire. Black, billowing smoke. I dialed Autumn's school to see if they were sending kids home or what they were doing about this. That immediate, I was on the phone. I just didn't know what else to do.


Danielle was pointing at the television. She had turned 5 just a few weeks ago and was already in her kindergarten clothes. Half-day for her. "Mommy, the plane crashed. Why did it do that?"

"I don't know Danielle."

"Did the man get hurt? Maybe he fell asleep?"

"No, I don't think he fell asleep. I don't think he wanted to hit the building. Why don't you go play or get a book buddy?"

Katie and Matt weren't looking like they knew any more than us, and they looked as shaken as we all were.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



When will today just be another day again?

Powered by ScribeFire.

Comments

Popular Posts