Christmas 2008

I've been neglectful in my blogging. Its hard to write from home... to many distractions. Back at work and rested.

Christmas. Trying to reflect on how it was and how it wasn't. It started out with 4 very happy kids, wrapping paper strewn around the living room. Clancy happily watching the festivities and cats jumping in and out of boxes.

And then at 9am I picked up my sister and headed over to the cemetary. I shoveled Pat's grave so there was easy access for visitors. We straightened out his Christmas tree that Lisa P. had made for him. It was perfect still, just a little angel that needed to be placed on her perch once more. Shamrock ornaments and red bows, all resting comfortably from their branches.

Family started arriving at noon. We cooked 20 lbs of prime rib. Or, Kathy did. It was amazing.

Around 6ish Lierin, Dylan and Pat's buddy Sal showed up. It was so great of him to join us. Sal has suffered more loss in the past year than anyone I know. Patrick's death was so hard for him. I hope he knows he always has a family here. And Lierin. What can I say? More and more I grieve for the loss of her. She was supposed to marry Pat and she was supposed to be like a sister to me. She is the most beautiful, funny and all around awesome woman. Sincerely love her. What she is going through and how she is handling this and being there for her son... true class and grace. Yes, grace. Grace. She has that and so much more. Not to mention that she is a truly spectacular mom. Dylan is a great little boy and seeing the joy she takes in him is so wonderful.

You know what she said to me? She said that what she gets the most sad at is that Dylan won't remember how much Patrick loved him. That she grieves for that. That one day, Patrick will be a framed photograph with lots of stories, but the memories will fade. The night Dylan fell asleep in his arms, curled up around Patrick's beloved stuffed E.T.... thank goodness there are photos of that. Maybe the memories will fade, but perhaps the emotions and feelings will linger somewhere in the subconsious. Who knows.

I dread the day will come when she won't be in our lives anymore. It has to be hard you know? I mean, the day will come when someone will scoop her up. I hope that doesn't mean she won't be around. I can't imagine that.

And that was Christmas. Kind of lovely, kind of sad. Kind of wonderful and kind of horrible. All wrapped up with a big ole bowl of Tear Soup.

Comments

Popular Posts