Resolution: No Change in 2009

I'm not and never have been big on making resolutions. I find they often set people up for failure and then you end up just not finishing yet another thing on your personal "to do list." Only this time, its like February and you've already doomed the year with your procrastination/lack of motivation... whatever. Considering the shit-tastic year of 2008, I'm ready for something totally predictable. Totally un-new and unwaveringly boring in its normalcy.


Not exactly earth-shattering you say? Maybe for a lot of people, not changing is their life pattern. But for me? Change is my middle name. And I'm going to change that. I knew I'd sneak it in there somehow.


My 2009 attempt at making my life a bit better is that I am going to Be Home/Be Present. I am not going to undertake any life changing tasks or jobs. I'm not going to search and seek for the next big thing. I'm going to take care of my family. This doesn't have to mean that I won't be bringing home any other 4 leggeds in need of a temporary home. In fact, this part of my life I find quite rewarding and I think it lays the foundation for empathy and animal rights and caring for God's creatures.

It means, I'm going to plan meals. I'm going to structure my home life to be organized and clean and easy. I'm going to put more effort in routines for my boys. I'm going to watch them grow right up close and personal. I'm going to sit my ass on my couch and crochet or read or write. I'm going to learn how to bake an apple pie if it kills me. I'm going to walk my dog more. I'm going to spend more time with my daughters. I'm going to surprise Aaron with a hot meal at midnight when he gets home from work.

Simply put: I'm going to take care of the ones I love with more meaning and purpose.

I guess there is a lot of change that needs to happen, but in the end it will result in nothing changing really. No moving. No new job. No school for me (God willing Aaron will start though). I'm done. My life is set and here I will stand and revel in its absolute average-ness.

What will be, will be I guess. I cannot control our lives beyond my property line, so I will concentrate on what I can affect. What I can make better for my family is where my focus will lie. And, if along the way I get to help out a homeless dog or two... I'll count that as an opportunity to make the world better for him/her too.

Comments

Popular Posts